• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what would you do

Isn't that what Tyson did? Throw wild punches? ANd most people learned how to deal with that.

Tang Soo Do/Tae Kwon Do

....Oh yeah, and unofficially...

KENJUTSU

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die." ~ Sima Yi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because everyone has their own fighting style. There is an effective counter for anything you could think of, and a counter for that counter etc. ;) Your idea works for some people, and not for others. Look at everything, see what makes it effective, and apply that for yourself.

~BladeLee~

hmm. interesting idea.

however, there are many problems with simply atacking constantly to the face.

1. it tires you out quickly. a person can take probably 3 times as many strikes to the face as they can to say the solar plexis or neck region without colapsing from the pain.

2. not all situations call for that much force. if you lose control and the cops have to come break it up you will almost definetly get slaped with some time in lock up. especially if the cop on the scene thinks it was overkill.

3. continuos punching to the face ony works at two ranges. medium and close range. if the personis two far away you'll either ware yourself out kicking at them or be forced to close the gap. if the enter the extrmemly close or "grappel" range, you're in trouble because you will no longer be able to hit them accuratly or with force.

this is not necissarily a bad strategy to use, but it should not be the only one in your repetoire. as soon as you encounter a big fella that can brush your punches off like flies you'l ware yourself out while he plays "rope-a-dope" and then mop the floor with you.

i personally prefer to use a boshiken or fudoken to a vital area on the arm when i block (this is known as "destroying the fist" in my style because when the right nerve is hit the hand aautomatically opens as a reflex, causing there punch to fail misearbly)

If in your journey you encounter God, God will be cut

~Hatori Hanso (sonny chiba)

I like the deflect, step in to the side, and attack method better.

As a response to someone just laying on attack-after-attack without really committing his body? It doesn't realy work. You deflect and the next hit is already on its way. You can side-step, but if they have any ability to pivot at all, they will just do so.

i got the idea after reading a chinese martial arts article that described the "leopard" style of fighting. which was wildly sending straight punches to the head with no regard for defense. that got me thinking "why wouldn't that work"?

Because you've given no regard to defense and will loose to someone who picks their strikes.

I don't like the idea of just throwing as many punches as possible simply because that's very boring!

I think being in a fight is exciting enough regardless of how you win.

The reason why I think it wouldn't work: unless you are fighting with a very stupid person, your opponent will learn that you are always doing the same thing and will think of something to do about it.

Are we talking about fighting or sparring?

Isn't that what Tyson did? Throw wild punches?

No, Tyson through skilfull, controlled punches. He basically just "turned up the energy" and came in very hard and aggressive. He fell to fighters capable of defending till he wore down (I believe Ali called the strategy "rope-a-dope")

then tell me the counter. i have not yet heard one valid one, only that it is a bad strategy. people dealt with wild punches

It vareis a little. Just wild punching? Kick them, or wade in close and change the game, or stay out and damage their hands.