• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ki Bohn Soo #7

Since you guys were so helpful before...

I was taught #'s 6 and 7 on Friday night. On 6 I'm good.

On 7, I know how I end up, with the wrist on my shoulder and the elbow locked, but can anyone help jog my memory with the first step and move?

(I will ask Sa Bum Nym about the text book tonight)

Thanks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It starts off with a skip-step similar to Ki Bon Soo #2, and placing the back of your left hand on the back of your opponent's right hand.

You then force your opponents right arm down and rearward. When their arm is pointing downward, you should be able to grab his right wrist with your left hand. At the same time your right hand grabs their right shoulder. Pushing their right arm rearward while pulling their right shoulder forward will force them to bend at the waist.

When they are bent over, place their right wrist over your left shoulder, remove your right hand from their right shoulder and with a wide hand, palm facing down, lock their elbow against your chest with the area of your right hand between the back of your thumb and wrist, and squeeze his elbow into your chest.

Finish by duplicating the position of your right hand with your left hand on top, and step back with your right leg and turning to control your opponent.

Hope that is clear enough. :karate:

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

Congratulations.

As Master Harmon always used to say, "The only things between you (now) and black belt is patience and perseverance.

As far as stepping, as a general rule, if you're going to the right of them you step, if you're going to the left of them you skip (from attack stance of course).

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Congratulations on the yellow stripe! That's fantastic!

How are you doing with your Ki Cho Hyung? Should be parts 1, 2, and 3, right?

Kuk Sool Won forms are really beautiful, especially when you follow the 5 principles in doing them:

1) Eyes bright

2) Mind clear

3) Body low

4) Feet slow

5) Hands fast

Do them right and you actually enjoy performing them! (I do anyway!)

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

Doug and dlopez, thanks for the tips. We didn't practice techniques last night, so I have an opportunity to do some "air practice" at home tonight on #7.

dlopez, yes, I had to demonstrate parts 1-3 of Ki Cho Hyung. I actually know part 4, and as of last night, part of part 5. Of course I need to practice more, and improve my stances and flow. I tend to do everything in a "hard" style, so I know that's one thing I need to work on, as well as my overall conditioning.

Last night, Sa Bum Nym was in a "thousand kind of mood", so we did 1000 kicks, then forms.

• 4 months later...

It is interesting that you mention #7. This is a Kuk Sool technique that cross over into full contact grappling.

The elbow can sometimes be locked this way in Judo competition, when the opponent grabs your lapel close to the neck.

Last night, Sa Bum Nym was in a "thousand kind of mood", so we did 1000 kicks, then forms.

oooh! nasty! I remember when Brown belts had to do that for their testing. I think they had to do the 8 basic kicks on each leg 10 times, then the same again x 2, then same again x 3 + 20 Spin kicks n 20 sweep kicks. Then they had to go onto doing all their forms and techniques. I don't think i'd be able to do that without pulling a muscle, or falling unconscious haha!