• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

another "is karate really effective?" post... sorr

tenkamusou

You fight like you train. If you train like self defense is going to be a sparring match, then you will fight like that too. All the talk about how you can fight in two modes so to speak is nonsense. I perform shorin ryu karate and I box. At first, I found it very difficult not to spar when I was being pounded on in the boxing ring. All of the methods and reactions that I had conditioned into my brain were those of the sparring match; avoid all contact (points), pull punches, quickness over power, and standing sideways to expose as few target areas as possible. I *still* find it difficult sometimes. I've improved, but not without much practice and many a headache from getting pounded.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

killer miller, I agree with almost everything you said, but wut you said applies to you... I rarely see someone who acts as you say u do. So, to me, I agree wut U said, but it's just theory... No discussion intented... that's your opinion, and I have mine, okay? thanx for puttin your opinion here!

And, I don't want to be a street fighter, I want to be effective...

If you could improve yourself in only three or two months, everybody would be invencible...

Actually, you asked a simple question and I gave you the simple facts - it's not an opinion.

Considering that, in my opinion, "Karate" is a traditional art to begin with. It's a term that has been generically and incorectly used over the years. It's not Muy tai, it's not kempo, it's not Kung fu, etc... So to ask me if Karate is effective in a fight? By the traditional since of the term, of course it is.

Secondly, many MA practioners have a tendancy to compare the lower and untrained levels of an art as to it's effectiveness. This is rediculous! Anyone less than a black belt in karate is not effective and is still learning the basics of the art - these persons are typically not effective in most sparring/combat situations. Any other experienced traditional black belt would know, without a doubt, that what I say is most certainly true.

Please don't make comparisons of different art's effectiveness if you haven't gone the full yard in training - because you just wouldn't know unless you did. You have no clue how effective and dangerous a well trained karate-ka is unless you've been in that arena... It will be an eye opener! If a high level traditional karate black belt was to have a different opinion as to karate's effectiveness, I most certainly would respect that opinion.

- Killer Miller -

killer miller, I agree with almost everything you said, but wut you said applies to you... I rarely see someone who acts as you say u do. So, to me, I agree wut U said, but it's just theory... No discussion intented... that's your opinion, and I have mine, okay? thanx for puttin your opinion here!

And, I don't want to be a street fighter, I want to be effective...

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

I want that when somethin happends I can defend myself... against all situations...

And I'm not talkin about styles here... I'm just talkin about the way things are done nowadays with this point crap.

If you could improve yourself in only three or two months, everybody would be invencible...

Any other experienced traditional black belt would know, without a doubt, that what I say is most certainly true.Please don't make comparisons of different art's effectiveness if you haven't gone the full yard in training - because you just wouldn't know unless you did. You have no clue how effective and dangerous a well trained karate-ka is unless you've been in that arena... It will be an eye opener! If a high level traditional karate black belt was to have a different opinion as to karate's effectiveness, I most certainly would respect that opinion.

I think you got it KM - and in my humble opinion, point sparring is useless, except as a fun game of sorts...

Cause, I got to say... I've doing a few researches, and I understand that Kyokushin karate and other forms of full contact styles can handle other styles, but can Shotokan, shito-ryu or any other style handle for example muay thai?

In general, no. I've been training in shotokan for 15 years and I say no. Without full contact training shotokan is just a self defence art.

I would say that most of our adult Black belts could hold their own with a Muay Thai/ kickboxer style fighter, in large part because the Goju inside style of fighting eliminates most of their kicking game. I guess it mostly depends on the style, though, and which branch of that style and so on...

As someone said, it's not the style it's the way it's practiced... and other people got into comparing styles while that was not the meaning of the post. ( please read the message not only the topic's name )

But I think that shoto, shito, goju and etc can handle other styles... IF THEY CUT THE POINT CRAP! If nowadays "traditional" styles, start to train to develop speed, strenght and everything that it has to offer... karate would be as good as anything... cause in my point of view it has it all...

And before some people start to mention "traditional karatekas", these trad. Karatekas certainly can handle anyone... BUT, i've never seen a traditional old days like Motobu or Higaona karatekas nowaday. If anyone here is like that please introduce yourself to me, I'll be more than glad to learn anything from you.

And I believe if you're not, we ( karatekas ) should practice to be like them, not to be like a Point sparring champ.

btw, does anyone here knows Ikemiyagui sensei? is it true that his sensei was called "Makiwara Breaker"?

Well... I guess that's it... Sorry If I offended someone, had no intention to do that, that just my opinion, I'm not too good at facts.

Thanx for all the answers.

See ya

nowadays, I don't think that 99% of trad. karate practioners can handle a full contact fighter...

Just my opinion.. Hope I'm wrong...