• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

another "is karate really effective?" post... sorr

tenkamusou

I was thinking to myself here... and I was just wondering, Is karate really efective against other forms of fighting or a real street fight??

Cause, I got to say... I've doing a few researches, and I understand that Kyokushin karate and other forms of full contact styles can handle other styles, but can Shotokan, shito-ryu or any other style handle for example muay thai?

cause I think that the basis of the kumite training are completely wrong... cause that thing about point matches! that's * to me... cause, if a shoto/shito/goju-ryu fighter go to a K-1 or somethin like that, he will definetly get his butts kicked, especially if he starts to do the jumping and all the things that karatekas are doing now...

So, to me, what's the point of being a great karateka, winning all kinds of point tournaments, and when the REAL thing comes, a knockout match, wut would I be able to do? cause if you only practice point kumite, you'll hardly be able to knock someone down!

I'm thinking about changin my training or somethin, i'm not sure wut to do in the moment, i don't wanna change my style to kyokushin, or do any other kind of martial art, I just want guarantee that I'll be able to protect myself, and be as effective as one can be in any kind of situations... I guess i don't need to keep talkin to much, that's for sure not the first topic about that, and probably won't be the last...

So, if you guys have somethin to say about it, a word, anything, or just link another thread about it, that'd be much apreciated, thank you for reading

see ya

If you could improve yourself in only three or two months, everybody would be invencible...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all there is no martial art or style of fighting that you can study that will guarantee your ability to defend yourself. The point sparring and all the crap you see at tournaments is just for fun. You need to be able to know the difference between what is for fun, and what is for real. Now, if you can't find anything for real at your school, then find a new school. If you are doing karate just for fun then fine, just don't confuse the fun stuff with the real stuff.

right why the hell do u have to downgrade yourself to point scoring u are training to fight so go out there get in your stance ready to fight and bloody fight every person knows there own power to some point so go for it, if my instructor never went to hit me how the hell is he gonna teach me

I feel you should train in your first style for awhile, then after you get past the basics try everything. If at all you get to learn other disciplines way of thought, and you have a better idea on how to defend against them.Read as much as you can about every style possible, including boxing. If your that hooked on your original style stay with it, but learn as much as you can about others.

If it works for you, run with it. If it doesn't, disregaurd it and move on.

Look dude, the defending yourself part is not up to the dojo. The karate point sparing is ONLY used for tournaments. I dont know in your dojo but in mine, we can hit the head with round kicks, and the stomach... I once got into a fight and just 2 hits that i used brought him down... i think point sparring is mostly for accuracy, how to use the techniques is up to you... Id reccomend muay thay if you REALLY wanna be a fighter.

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

wow... thanx for all the answers... and i'm always checkin other styles out... i know a few kyokushin guys here in brazil, and I often talk with them... i read a lot of boxing books... and have a tape with a lot of boxing fights... and kung fu too...

i don't know, yesterday I started my new "concept"of training... got to say, the spirit of a knockdown fight is completely different from the point sparring... cause in point sparring you worry about not gettin a hit... but yesterday i was completely careles if the oponent coud hit me or not! i Just went for it! it was awesome... from now on... i'm only going to practice like this!

ps. It's incredible! I never thought that Ura zuki was the easiest punch to hit people! hahahahahah it was cool!

THANX FOR THE POST U GUYS!

IF YOU WISH, KEEP POSTING!

If you could improve yourself in only three or two months, everybody would be invencible...

Please don't confuse the art of bashing someones face in until you both get so tired you can't move anymore at the end of the match, with the art of traditional Karate (Shotokan for one) where you train for the perfect technique with the ability to apply a "killing" blow to your opponent that will permanantly disable your opponent. The point matches you refer to is for safety and as a test of your abilities that you have trained for - not the trophy... It is an "art" where you have a great mutual respect for your opponent in matches as to what the two of you are and have trained for. In the street it is a totally different situation because you will not hesitate to kill or permanantly disable the attacker - that is what you are trained to do. To go to full contact matches in our art would cause serious damage to your opponent that you appreciate so much. This is unlike the head bashing trophy matches that are so popular with the non-traditional practioners - in it for the sport and not the art of perfection. I do not and would not participate in a sport match because I would have a tendacy to commit serious harm by natural reaction of my training - this would make me feel bad to the person I injured...

I also speak from experience. I have seriously hurt three persons in my day of training traditional karate. One person was in one of the sport types of matches. I blasted him in the solar plexus, he didn't even bother to move, and he went down hard and fast. Another person was in a traditional tournament, I reversed punched to his face, he was slow and I was fast and had already committed to my focal point, and I about knocked his jaw of of his face - yes he went to the hospital... Another was in the street, a person tried to attack me, I naturally reacted with a quick punched, he went down and stayed there. Oh, and not to mention a demonstration I was preparing for with one of my students. This was a demo from kneeling position. I told my student where my focal point was going to be, and I also told him that whatever he does to not move forward! I punched, he moved forward, I blasted him in the head accidently do to him moving forward. He said his head hurt and told him to take it easy and no more training for that day. Fifteen minutes later, his head split open with blood, rushed him to the hospital, 17 stitches later he was ok. I felt really bad again for the injuries I caused.

Was I a punk. Of coarse not... These techniques are so dangerous, so fast from point A to point B that there's no room for error with a lessor trained person when you are at a higher level - which was the case in each of these incidents. I also felt very bad in each of these case too. Almost all of these incidents I had nothing but praise and respect for these persons - except for the person on the street and I really didn't want to hurt him either, but had no choice.

To wrap up my point, you are referring to two different arts with two totally set of rules of life. One does it for sport and satisfaction of the win and trophy. The other does it for perfection of the art in hope they never have to use what they've been trained to do... Which art is for you??? Only you can decide that.

- Killer Miller -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

I agree with everything you said Killer Miller.

tenkamusou, if you are in the street it is not very often that you will come up against a person with martial arts training. Also you can't expect you instructor to make you a "ultimate fighter". Im sure you learn some very good techniques in your training, but its up to you to work on them until they become a reaction. Also focus on the techniques that work best for you so you can customise the way you fight to better suit yourself.