• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Camps?

So next month will be the second camp I will have gone to since practicing a martial art and I'm looking foward to it (and kinda dreading it at the same time!) I just thought it'd be cool to hear of other camps from around the world and what you've all been through...

The last camp was not quite as hardcore as I had expected as nearly half of the attendants were juniors - which suited me fine as my fitness was pretty poor!

Basically there is a lesson on Friday night, then Saturday was wall to wall training, followed by a 5:30am wake up call for 1 and a half hours of line kata in the freezing cold feilds with prickles.

But I think the worst part of the whole camp was having to keep putting the wet stinking Gi back on before another session - I dreaded it more than the class itself!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've only been to a few camps/seminars. The last one was in 1990 in Seattle by the Okinawan head of the system I practice.

It was a wonderful experience, except for one jerk in attendance.

This guy was as white as I am, and in normal conversation talked as normally as I do..yet during practice, I was (un)fortuante to pair up with him for self-defense practice, and this guy immediately switches his speech to "pidgeon-english", or talking like an oriental with poor English skills.

I asked him why he talked like that, and he says "Like what?" :roll:

I asked the host of the seminar about the guy later in the day when he and I and the Head Grandmaster (I felt very honored to be asked to attend lunch with just these two and I), and he told me..."Oh, just ignor him. He does that in his classes too. We don't know why."

Have fun at your camp. Usually you can pick a lot of brains while there. You might want to prepare a list of mental questions to ask higher-ups if given the chance.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Good topic --- I'd love to go to a karate camp :)

I'm I too old at 24 --- are these things geared for kids?

They're pretty much for anyone.. I'm 24 myself.

The great thing about it was having teachers from other dojos come and take lessons, maybe self defence, kata or sparring advice... it's always good to get someone elses take on things.

OOP! I thnk I misunderstood the topic here. This is a camp just for kids?

I put on a camp years ago out at a boy scout base camp for everybody/all ages. I wasn't aware that there were camps just for kids.

Cool idea, but why limit it to just kids?

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

OOP! I thnk I misunderstood the topic here. This is a camp just for kids?

I put on a camp years ago out at a boy scout base camp for everybody/all ages. I wasn't aware that there were camps just for kids.

Cool idea, but why limit it to just kids?

...? No I think you're really confused now! :P

The camp is open for everyone, its just that the first one I went to had alot of juniors so they didn't push us too hard. There were all ages there, like I say I'm 24.

Or camps usually have a theme. Like one year it was : you are a student from one of 4 competing martial arts schools in feudal japan. We had all sorts of things bassed around this, like missions that each group must complete before the end of the camp and demonstrations etc. Lots of fun.

Camps I go to are usually three day (Friday, Sat, Sun),with many different instructors from around the country, and around the world. Sometimes they are based on a series of similar movements out of kata, but different bunkai. Sometimes it's a group of pressure points, but different ways to target them out of kata.

Darce, being from Finland, have you heard of a Master by the name of Terro, Or Pekka Sappan?

Our camps use to last three days, too.

No, I have never heard of him. To be honest I don´t know much about senseis from other styles.

Shukokai Karate, Orange belt ( 7. kyu)