• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Universal Kempo Karate Schools Association

Sho-ju

Mixing Japanese and Chinese in a name of the style: Pretty ridiculous. At least makes all claims of traditionality and long lineage to be hoax automately.

American Kenpo does not claim to be a 'traditional' art, and we are not hidebound by the traditions of a culture foreign to us. Nor do we assume anything is worthless because it doesn't follow a bunch of protocals often not even found in the present culture of the parent society. And we trace our lineage back to the 20th century and Mr. Parker. You seem so caught up in your own quest for the ancient secrets that yu cannot view the claims of others outside this narrow context. Kindly don't make our claims for us and in return we won't tell you to go ... !

Freedom isn't free!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, OK. So, American kenpo...if your style is American, why do you use Japanese in its name?

Interesting - as is Mr. Parker's martial art history and claims.

I don't need to search for ancient secrets. There aren't many secrets in martial arts, after all. I just handle classic styles as classic ones, modern styles as modern ones - and fraudlent hoaxes as fraudlent hoaxes.

And we don't follow "a bunch of protocals" (sp, should be "protocols") either. Update your knowledge about traditional styles.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Ah, OK. So, American kenpo...if your style is American, why do you use Japanese in its name?

It is based on existing oriental arts. The martial arts were initially imported to Japan- should they have not modified them, or the names, to fit their culture?

Interesting - as is Mr. Parker's martial art history and claims. ...

I just handle classic styles as classic ones, modern styles as modern ones - and fraudlent hoaxes as fraudlent hoaxes.

You infer that Mr. Parker was a fraud, but you give no reason or evidence othr than that you don't like his art. Your posts illustrate the bias I was talking about. Look- history, tradition, protocols- all are important. They can help you understand where your art comes from, why things are as they are, and they can teach values. But when you become so bound up in them, which seems to be your attitude, you loose sight of the purpose and they become an end in themselves. You have the form of honour, respect, all the values the arts are meant to teach. But you have no understanding. Go tell yourself you've learned these values- then take cheap shots at those who've done great things in the martial arts. You have no understanding, and not even the courage to say plainly what you mean and why. You infer Mr. Parker lied about his training and experience. You may actually believe that, but you are deceiving yourself- not just about this, but about the values you develope along with your skills, and about your character.

I train with a lot of different stylists. Most martial artists do have respect for each other, and share a bond with a common interest. I find a lot to admire in traditional arts as well as other non traditional arts. I also have found many who keep to themselves in the traditional camp, as well as the non traditional, and those ma's tend to be very dogmatic in their approach. I don't put them down for this, nor do I disrespect them. But I don't stand quietly when one of them starts spewing garbage about other arts, or their founders. That type person I find to be obnoxious, and I do judge them a little harshly.

Edit/Note to Moderators: I've reviewed this post, and it is a little blunt. If you decide to delete it, I won't take offence. But I'm going to let it stand, as is, with apologies to any forum members who find it in bad taste. I personally find the comments about Mr. Parker to be in very bad taste, and think the author needs to be challenged, which I did.

Freedom isn't free!

I don't think Ed Parker was a fraud but I do believe he sold rank in his system. I've seen too many so called "masters" that just are not worth the gi they wear...and they were graded to black belt by Eddie or his crew.

American Kenpo seems like a great system, but for some reason whenever i see a clip or picture of kenpo practitioners they are ridiculously overweight.

Very true. Have you seen Al Tracy? Even Ed was large...but Al takes the cake...and dogged it up!

have you seen that "not small" tkd guy doing all them 540s and crazy jump kicks?

it was from one of the links on bilang.

size does not mean anything!

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

have you seen that "not small" tkd guy doing all them 540s and crazy jump kicks?

it was from one of the links on bilang.

size does not mean anything!

Ya it does...take a look at mixed martial arts. You have two people that have spent the same amount of time training and the bigger guy wins. Peace.

Its a KEMPO thread I had to add my two cents.

KEMPO/KENPO and KARATE are two words that mean the same saying KEMPO KARATE is like saying KUNG FU KARATE. A pet pieve of mine.

In regards to the Traditional vs Modern , If you think about it all of the TRADITIONAL ARTS they would fit into what people call MCDOJOS today. I have great respect for the foillowing arts they are just an Example : ISSHINRYU crated from a SHORIN RYU and GOJURYU stylist who thought he had more insight than his instructors, he left created his own style and became GRAND MASTER. Often this one sign of a current Mcdojo. There is much said about the OLD ways and how we today could never compare to the late great masters of old. I feel that this is wrong training is training it is what you put into it, if a person trains 7-12 hours a day they will reach amazing skill levels. The ARTS have always been about taking the system and making it your own so it will work for you.

I believe SHOALIN KEMPO is Fred Villari's system , I would not refer to him as an ASIAN MASTER , especially since he will sell you a black belt with the video course no instructor/ dojo time needed.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

Its a KEMPO thread I had to add my two cents.

KEMPO/KENPO and KARATE are two words that mean the same saying KEMPO KARATE is like saying KUNG FU KARATE. A pet pieve of mine.

In regards to the Traditional vs Modern , If you think about it all of the TRADITIONAL ARTS they would fit into what people call MCDOJOS today. I have great respect for the foillowing arts they are just an Example : ISSHINRYU crated from a SHORIN RYU and GOJURYU stylist who thought he had more insight than his instructors, he left created his own style and became GRAND MASTER. Often this one sign of a current Mcdojo. There is much said about the OLD ways and how we today could never compare to the late great masters of old. I feel that this is wrong training is training it is what you put into it, if a person trains 7-12 hours a day they will reach amazing skill levels. The ARTS have always been about taking the system and making it your own so it will work for you.

I believe SHOALIN KEMPO is Fred Villari's system , I would not refer to him as an ASIAN MASTER , especially since he will sell you a black belt with the video course no instructor/ dojo time needed.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"