Sho-ju

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So doesn't impress you cause i take shaolin Kenpo karate????
What’s the difference between Tracy, American, or Shaolin kenpo?

idk but you still answer my question. have you heard that Shaolin Kenpo Karate is no good?

So doesn't impress you cause i take shaolin Kenpo karate????

idk but you still answer my question. have you heard that Shaolin Kenpo Karate is no good?

I don't think American Kenpo is all that. What I've seen done anyway.

The Tracy brothers left Ed Parker early on in order to pursue a more marketable approach to Kenpo. From what I've seen, they tend to rush through their techniques without the depth of understanding of American Kenpo.

Shaolin Kenpo and American Kenpo share common origins, so there is a lot of similarity in the two styles. MAjor differences would be in training methods and AK's emphasis on understanding principles.

Sorry you didn't like what you saw of American Kenpo. Possibly you didn't see it done right, or you didn't understand what you saw. I suspect that you are also a victim of the prejudice that seems to go with many Japanese arts. AK is thought of by many JA practioners to be a 'slap art'. I worked with a Shotokan guy not long ago who thought that, and in particular he didn't like heel palm strikes. I had him attack me and countered with mostly heel palms. I also showed him how those 'slaps' could be inserted between major strikes to eliminate the wasted motion inherent in styles that teach rechambering, how they can be used to convert and salvage a failed strike, how much dammage they can do with often just minimal effort. Any way, he now has a better opinion of Kenpo and 'slap strikes'.

All I'm saying is don't be too quick to judge other arts. I've been guilty of that also, and I eventually find out that I was wrong. Usually it is a lack of understanding that leads to incorrect judgementsabout those arts. I used to think of Taiji as a worthless hippie dance, now I study it. Heck, there was a time I didn't think too highly of Shotokan! :P

Freedom isn't free!

Shaolin = Chinese word. In Japan it would be "Shorin".

Kenpo = Misspelled "kempo". Japanese word for kung fu. If someone translates it as "fist law", we're talking about American style here.

Karate = Japanese word, meaning "empty hand".

Mixing Japanese and Chinese in a name of the style: Pretty ridiculous. At least makes all claims of traditionality and long lineage to be hoax automately.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland