• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When does a karate fight NOT look like kickboxing ?

goedikey

well kickboxing is nothing but boxing mixed with karate. well the last time i check it was.

Huh? I've done both and found very few similarities. Kickboxing uses no open handed techniques, no grappling, no joint locks, they don't do katas, etc... what kind of karate are you refering to?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Karate looks like kickboxing when too much time is spent on sparring with protective equipment thus allowing the gloves to be used as shields and restricting the ability of the fighter to use shutos grabs etc. The appearance of kickboxing is determined by the rules and equipment used.

Forgive me if anyone's said this, but d karateka torque their hips more with their roundhouse kicks than kickboxers?

I'm guessing it's because they don't want to over-commit to the blow, leaving them the option to punch.

Someone said on another thread that boxers punch harder than Muay Thai guys because they only punch so they use a lot more hip torque, where as the Muay Thai guys torque less so they're still able to follow up with other techniques.

Forgive me if anyone's said this, but d karateka torque their hips more with their roundhouse kicks than kickboxers?

I'm guessing it's because they don't want to over-commit to the blow, leaving them the option to punch.

No martial artist should over commit whilst fighting. Kicking/ hitting a bag fine, fighting a big no, no. That is until the time is right.......

Goedikey try checking out some JKA tournaments. The thing with tournament fighting is that you cannot afford to get hit because you lose points. Trying a spinning back fist (not a very traditional move!) will expose your back and leave you blind for a split second allowing your partner to score. Deep stances are difficult to move from and do not offer the speed of a high stance. As someone else has mentioned they are generally for conditioning.

Edited by telsun

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

I think lots of begginer fights look like kickboxing. Once you get to a higher level, you might get some new techniques coming from oponents not used in kickboxing.

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

Well not exactly over-commit. Boxers torque their hips more than MT guys, which leaves their bodies in a position incapable of delivering a kick. Not that it matters. :D

in what I've watched I've seen more knockout blows delivered in Karate fights than Kickboxing

This is I'm guessing due to the point scoring system in free competitions

long fights are draining so Kickboxers seem to save their energy and jab kick/ punch

I know these are generalisations but from what I've seen it's correct.

700 hours of official training. Injury finished me dammit!

1st Kyu Wado Ryu

I am a beginner in Shotokan but i feel it would apply to other stuff ive seen.

In my classes and on the internet, most Karate fights look more or less like kickboxing.

People jumping up and down. I see a kick here and there and a punch there...

I do not see a lot of the techniques I am being taught.

Have you only ever seen shotokan fights or fights from other karate styles too?

I train in shotokan and I have to say that most of the fights I've seen don't look like a kickboxing match (and, yes, I've seen kickboxing fights too!! :) ), although there is a bit of a 'limit' to techniques that can be used in karate competitions, both for safety reasons and for practical purposes. That's probably why you think they look like kickboxing, becuase all the bunkai and traditional shotokan stuff, such as the low stances, can't really be used in a competition fight - some of it is designed for streetfighting, really, IMO. :D

A.~ 1st kyu Brown belt.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!