• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When does a karate fight NOT look like kickboxing ?

goedikey

Hi,

why do most karate I see fights look like kickboxing ?

M instructor is going to great lenghts in teaching us stuff like low stances, spinning punches and all the kata bunkai that never seem to make it competitions.

Maybe its because most of this stuff is too danerous to be used ?

When does a karate uses what is taught in my classses ?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I might possible help to know what system you're involved in?

As for karate fighters looking like kick boxers..most that I have seen don't in point competitions. Totally different types of contests.

Are kata bunkai, low stances, etc to dangerous to use? No, but the bunkai is designed for street combat, not sport competitions. Also, the bunkaifrom kata's are designed to teach you how to move, to flow from one technique to another, positioning, exercising and teaching the muscles to mvoe certain ways that they don't normally, etc.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

The fact is that the low stances, spinning punches and flying kicks that you may be used to doing are never going to be used in a real fight. They are ineffective. Could you imagine fighting a guy standing in a low stance with fists chambered? Wouldn't that be rediculous? An effective fighter will use mostly hands to the head and ribs when striking, and some grappling if it cannot be avoided. If kicks are thrown, they will be to the knees and groin. If the fight escalates into something dangerous, then some eye gouging and chokes might occur. I fight dirty.

I am a beginner in Shotokan but i feel it would apply to other stuff ive seen.

In my classes and on the internet, most Karate fights look more or less like kickboxing.

People jumping up and down. I see a kick here and there and a punch there...

I do not see a lot of the techniques I am being taught.

it's not just karateka that you see this on either, alot of so-called 'gungfu' proponents fight like that.

personally i think it's because they haven't learned to use their stuff the correct way, i.e. in fighting.

i know of people who can and DO use extremely deep stances in fighting, but they aren't nearly as common as people who throw all their training out the window as soon as a fight starts

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

Thanks for your replies.

Why am I being taught all of this then ?

I am, saying to myself :

Boy all of these stances look very cool and are very hard to master. There must be a really good reason for this to be.

Maybe that I will need to jump in kokutsu dachi sometimes in a fight...

The argument is that really low stances are for strength training. In my training, I do use low stances when working some techniques for that reason. However, I never fool myself into believing that I will use those stances in application. It is important to work the stances because you _will_ use them. You won't be thinking about them when you use them.

Althou i dont do karate now but my friend says kick boxing is for people who aint able to cope with the low stances of karate. And with the low stances they are good once they aitn hard to keep in they make you more balenced and harder to hit and you can hit them in the solar plexis easier ( which you cant afford to be hit in ). And i have heard karate isnt on tv li ke boxing etc is cos it would be to lethal. ( sorry but thats what my friend siad also sites i have looked at )

Regards :karate:

Low stance training can be used for building stamina, strength, balance, and chi. Spinning punches are good for balance, focus, and getting your aiming point. And, kata bunkai you can never get enough of. What you learn through the bunkai

should be used for street application, not in the ring. In a real situation you react the way you train. If you train with sport intent, your gonna get pummeled in a real fight, but it sounds like your sensei is teaching real applications, which is a good thing.