• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The "Mae Geri" And "Yoko Geri" Help

MawashiGeri60

Id use a yoko-geri to knock someone out if they were really slow... I can easly bock and really hurt you if you try a yokogeri on me... Try doing one and see how open to any attack your groin is --- OUCH, as for mae-geris/oi-geris i dont use for sparring really, but if someone is coming onto you i sometimes use one to back them off and usually leave them without air...

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

most people watch a fighter's upper body

(not a fellow martial artist hopefully!)

so when you pull back your left arm as if to do a stupidly obvious punch they aren't expecting your mae geri into the groin are they?

700 hours of official training. Injury finished me dammit!

1st Kyu Wado Ryu

ouch dude... I dont think anyone is THAT stupid tho

you would be surprised m8.

the ability to surprise someone in a fight is great.

people have all kinds of strange ideas about how to fight, what's right and wrong etc.

If I had to fight someone seriously. then anything goes. no mercy imo

700 hours of official training. Injury finished me dammit!

1st Kyu Wado Ryu

HAI FELLOW KARATEKAS THANKS FOR THE FEED BACK AND ANSWERS TO MY QUESTION I REALLY APPREACIATE IT .. ARE THERE ANYWAYS YOU CAN PRACTICE THIS KICKS BESIDES IN THE AIR .. I KICK THE WALLS WITH A YOKO GERI AND MAE GERI . BUT ARE THERE ANY OTHER WAYS U PRACTICE THIS TECHNIQUES ??? ANY TEACHNIQUES U USE IN TOURNIES WITH BOTH OF THIS KICKS . ANY COMBOS .. I USUALLY USE THE MAWASHI GERI FIRST THEN THE COME IN WITH A FAKE OI SUKI THEN GOING IN WITH A THURSTING FRONT KICK .. OSU

I wouldn't kick walls if I was you... although, having said that, my instructor practises mawashi-geri by turning the light switch on and off!! :o He claims it gives him good target practise.

Keep on practising 'kicking air'. Also, in my dojo, we occasionally practise on each other, wearing body armour, so we can get a bit of a 'feel' for what it's like to kick someone hard. Try using a punch/kick bag too or get someone to hold a kick shield for you, or fasten one to a wall at home if possible.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!