• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The "Mae Geri" And "Yoko Geri" Help

MawashiGeri60

does any body know the real puposes of the yoko geri (side kick )and mae geri ( front kick ) it seems not to be used much in tournaments . . most people use the mawashi geri ( round kick ) but does the yoko geri and mae geri have any effects ??? .or is it only used when an opponent is too close to keep them away from u .. can anybody help me on this topic im confused .. thank u . and information of the yoko geri and mae geri would be very helpful ..anything like proper way of doing it . when to do it . why do we do it . etc . . anything will be taking ... OSU

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

They are both very effective kicks when perfomed properly in a tournament situation. The side kick can be used to close a lot of distance quickly with it's reach. You can do a "cross step" along with the side kick to cover more distance, and add some power. Get nailed in the ribs with that sucker once in a spar and you'll be watching for that leg to come up. The front kick is great for groin shots. If your tournament rules allow for leg kicks then it can be effective there also. The front kicks main advantage for me at least is that it can be thrown very quickly.

For self defense situations these kicks would not be something I would utilize.

in any situation i would use all karate techniques taught to me .. espeacially side kick to the low area of my oponenent in the knee caps .. fron kick to the groin areas works good too .. in the streets . its lovely i caught somebody with a side kick and almost broke his ribs . but at first i thought it was only to make distance between ur opponent and yourselfe . but i think i would need more information on the kicks . .thank you sho ju and smr for the feed back OSU

Snap Kicks is what you are probably referring to on the two kicks. The snap kicks are actually very effctive in tournaments to apply shock to the opponent, offsetting their breathing timing, causing them to pre-maturely execute an action and allowing for a quick counter attack for the point during their transition. Kekomi kicks of course is for a different purpose in which you would be executing and commiting a killing blow or winning point .

Neither are worthless as you might think, and are very effective when used for their purpose. Also, shock techniques (snap type) can cause internal damage to the body. Some karate-kas have been known to have serious injuries, and in some cases dye, from impacts of snap techniques and the delayed effects of internal damage. Don't underestimate their effectiveness of danger.

- Killer Miller -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Yoko Geri - like someone already said good for closing distance. You can feint high with the hand and hit low to the knee or ribs with the kick. Also if you are in close and can get you knee up quick enough you can really push through them with the kick.

Mae Geri- good kick if you are close just to snap up the the groin (kin geri) or bladder area. Also used to stop your opponent closing the distance by hitting them in the chest with the kick. ( watch a good mauy thai fight and you will see what i mean)

Another thing, alot of the time these kicks are safer and quicker than mawashi geri.

Mae Geri is a great point scoring technique and it can also stop a charging opponent dead in his tracks. A snapping front kick can be executed very quickly. Its like running into a wall. Since Im not a kid anymore I find it a lot more practical for sparring than risking too many roundhouse kicks which probably wont get in and would most likley catch an elbow. I use them to set up my next attack,as part of a combo and to keep my opponent backing off. If the is a low risk opening up high I take it.

The side thrust kick is great for a powerful finishing technique and when used as part of a combo. ie..front kick, round, then spinning sidekick ect.... :karate:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Mae Geri- good kick if you are close just to snap up the the groin (kin geri) or bladder area. Also used to stop your opponent closing the distance by hitting them in the chest with the kick. ( watch a good mauy thai fight and you will see what i mean)

Another thing, alot of the time these kicks are safer and quicker than mawashi geri.

Totally agree - also the Mae-Geri is a great way to knock the wind out of someone, instant fight stopper! :brow:

HAI FELLOW KARATEKAS THANKS FOR THE FEED BACK AND ANSWERS TO MY QUESTION I REALLY APPREACIATE IT .. ARE THERE ANYWAYS YOU CAN PRACTICE THIS KICKS BESIDES IN THE AIR .. I KICK THE WALLS WITH A YOKO GERI AND MAE GERI . BUT ARE THERE ANY OTHER WAYS U PRACTICE THIS TECHNIQUES ??? ANY TEACHNIQUES U USE IN TOURNIES WITH BOTH OF THIS KICKS . ANY COMBOS .. I USUALLY USE THE MAWASHI GERI FIRST THEN THE COME IN WITH A FAKE OI SUKI THEN GOING IN WITH A THURSTING FRONT KICK .. OSU

Don't kick walls. It's bad for you, and it isn't any more realistic than kicking the air. Kick a heavy bag. If you can't kick a heavy bag, then perhaps some sort of a makiwara could help. I'm by no means an expert in makiwara construction, so your on your own there.