krunchyfrogg

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That shouldn't be hard at all! Shotokan and ShorinRyu are 2 of the 4 popular Okinawan styles. I'll help you look too.

What style of ShorinRyu? Matsubayashi, Kobiyashi or Shobiyashi *sp*

Kita

PS --- How far are you willing to travel for a school? I commute 30 miles across a river and state lines to train :) I'm making it sound farther than it is....I live in IL --- 14 miles from the MO / St Louis state line and river :P

I'm really not sure what kind of shorinryu. The school I'm in now is a combination of those three styles. I'd just like to move into something that I'd feel comfortable in.

As for travel, the closer the better. I'll be starting a family, and I'd like to be as close to home as possible.

I was just browsing over the intros --- you haven't been taking karate very long have you --- like less than a month? I'm I reading that right? If that's the case, it may also make it easier to find a school -- I remember being more flexible --- at least until I made it to yellow / orange belt.

Good luck!

Kita

Just a week now. As I said above, I'm flexible, I just don't want to feel like I'm starting all over again.

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

State of the Arts Karate Institute

Piscataway, N.J.

http://www.markklineskarate.com/

Looks nice, but Piscataway is almost an hour away from Parsippany.

My final decision won't be made for quite some time, and there's a distinct possibility that my school will be close to my workplace insetad of home (hopefully the two won't be too far apart... I hate commuting and I''m very lucky to live about 10 minutes from my current workplace, and I live under my dojo).

-- Jackie Robinson

-- Edmund Burke

I did a search (with the styles that you mentioned). I couldn't find any with websites.

Here's a Goju school about 8 miles from Parsippany: American Center for Martial Arts, West Rockaway, NJ.

Okinawan Classics Academy (same town). Doesn't say what style, though.

Not much in the way of Okinawan styles, except Isshin Ryu and a lot of others (if you want those, let me know).

Laurie F

Not much in the way of Okinawan styles, except Isshin Ryu and a lot of others (if you want those, let me know).

Thanks for the help, everybody. I'm quoting this passage above because it brings up an interesting point: I don't really know what I want, besides to have the feeling like I'm not totally lost when I join this new school.

I figure, in about 10 months time (3-4 classes a week), I should be Yellow Belt by then (maybe higher, I've never actually asked anybody how long it's taken them to advance. One of the rules on my dojo's website is to "not be concerned with how fast you advance").

Anyway, I really think I'll be Yellow Belt. I had achieved that rank in this same school as a small child in about 6 months, if I remember correctly. So 10 months as an adult isn't an unreasonable expectation.

Anyway, my point is that I want my knowledge to translate into my new style, whatever that may be. I'm open to any suggestions.

-- Jackie Robinson

-- Edmund Burke

there are dozens of dojos to choose from in that part of the state. You should have no problem finding a place to suit your needs.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

I was just trying to get a rise out of the Dillman bashers on this forum :brow: . I have the utmost respect for Grandmaster Dillman. Mark Kline happens to be a very close friend of mine.

My, aren't you the sneaky one Tao! :lol:

I didn't check out the site, otherwise I "might" have been one of the ones that said "Be careful, it's a Dillman dojo!" lol

:karate:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"