• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What exactly makes something a martial art?

I think everything is pretty clear with the 'martial' part - fighting, war, etc.

But the 'art' part means that 'martial art' has to include individual creativity and personal interpretation. I think kata is a good example of 'art' because it is similar to 'dance'. No two people do the same kata exactly the same way. Every person brings something personal into kata.

It is also an art because it is part of culture. It was developed and carried over generations and reflects traditions of the society where it was created...

Boxing (and tank driving) can't be called martial arts because there is no element of 'art' in them.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i can only speak for the chinese arts but like i said before, "martial art" is a western term applied to a chinese method/system.

you are trying to define a thing that originated in another culture by "dissecting" the name that was given to it so that the western world might understand it better.

you should probably look back to the original names (from their country of origin) if you want to define what "martial arts" are.

as for tank driving not being an art.

there is a level of skill involved with driving a tank. no two people drive a tank in the same way.

it takes work and practice and perserverance to be a good tank driver. there is an art to driving a tank. a good tank driver has good "kung fu".

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

as for tank driving not being an art.

there is a level of skill involved with driving a tank. no two people drive a tank in the same way.

it takes work and practice and perserverance to be a good tank driver. there is an art to driving a tank. a good tank driver has good "kung fu".

This is true! I kept runnning over trees and tearing up sidewalks :roll: when I was driving a M109 in the Army over in Germany! lol But give me a Jeep...and I could go ANYWHERE! :nod:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"