• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WTF Questions?

why does WTF (olympic tae kwon do) not allow punches to the face? I feel this is a bad issue when it comes to self defense. I know that different schools produce different styles under one oganization. I have competed in a couple of WTF tournaments and am puzzled why the punch to the side of the head is not scored. The punch to the body is scored which i can understand. I've found that most of the opponents that i have fought keep their guard down to protect their ribs and the face exposed. I would like some more information on the WTF style to help me train for on open tournament in November.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yes, the W.T.F receives critisim for being a kicking martial art. It's ironic that boxing gets less critisim for just punching.

The problem is that people try to rate the practical self-defense aspect of W.T.F sparring, when W.T.F sparring is simply a sport.

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

About advice about training for your open-style tournament in November...

I wouldn't be too concerned about fighting against a W.T.F stylist in an open-style tournament. Few W.T.F stylists go to open-style tournaments, cause open style tournaments usually allow punches. W.T.F stylists would be at a greater disadvantage cause they are inexperienced at fighting in the punching range. However, if you do happen to fight against a W.T.F fighter, make sure you're fast on your feet. They have excellent foot-work. You could close in on their kicks so that your fighting happens in the punching range. this would be advantageous for you, since W.T.F stylists are very inexperienced with punching in sparring.

Is this a full contact tournament??? Where will it be held?

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

First let me say that, I train at a real TKD School.... That allows punches to the face. I am competing in an open tournament to fight against a different style than my own. (to widen my range of fight experence) I love using hand technics because it opens things up for kick to the mid section and when then guard is down I go high. Thanks for the advice. The tournament is in Moncton N.B. Canada on Nov.15/03 (Montcon University) and is full contact. Underbelts are not allowed kicks to the head, but black belt is fair game.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

I am a member of the World tang Soo Do Association. In tournaments, punches to the head aren't allowed.

In individual classes, though, that's another matter...I regularly ptacticed with any technique allowed to the head.

I guess the tournament rationale is that it keeps injuries down, and therefore is less a of a liability overall. i've also heard that's it's just plain too easy to score with a punch to the ehad, but i don't know...

I agree that if all you ever practice is sparring with no punching to the head, it will hurt you in the long run, but if you can separate tournament sparring from more realistic sparring sessions that allow punching to the head, sweeps, grappling, etc... then the rule can exist without you having to get too caught up in it.

My students wouls actually be more likely to make a mistake in a tournament and throw a punch to the head (and get warned for it) than they are to not punchto the head when the situation calles for it.

I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing, as long as they aren't flagrantly disobeyinv the rules in a tournament. I'd rather they have the instinct to attack the opening.

I have always trained to punch to the face, however, in a WTF/Olympic style tournament it will not score a point. Just the rules of the game.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I have always trained to punch to the face, however, in a WTF/Olympic style tournament it will not score a point. Just the rules of the game.

8)

LOL @ Akima, true.

“Iron is full of impurities that weaken it; through forging, it becomes steel and is transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.” ~Morihei Ueshiba

• 3 months later...

Everyone who makes fun of WTF sparring (i.e. full contact with body armor) never did it. Those guys will hand your heads to you. I've seen them do it. And if you think you can get in close to punch, you're welcome to try.

By the way, I practiced at a WTF-Kukkiwon school, and practiced with some of the toughest guys I've ever seen.

In class, we practice high punching to the face in step, stopping one inch away. Who wants to leave class with broken noses and missing teeth?

My opinion-Welcome to it.