• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Would you teach a white belt all the kicks

in your martial art so that he/she can get the feel of the kicks???

Some instructors believe in teaching a hook-kick, round-house kick, back kick, side kick, axe kick to a white-belt. I think this is very overwhelming for a white belt. I believe he/she should master one kick at a time, most importantly developing balance and form. I think the logical order to teach kicks is:

1) Front kick

2) Back front kick

3) Front round house kick.

4) Back round house kick.

5) Front side kick

6) Back side kick

7) Back kick. Etc.

Designating one kick or a couple of kicks per belt, will let allow the students to focus more on perfecting one or two kicks. It’s also gives the student motivation to move to the next belt level to learn a new kick..

I asked the instructor why teach a white-belt so many kicks at once. He believes teaching many kicks to a white belt, will help develop the different muscles required for each kick. This was the way he was taught.

What do you guys think?

to tell you the truth i can do all of those kicks but when i went to the dojang on my first day the instructor taught me how to kick and do a roundhouse kick, front kick, axe kick, hook kick, and so my instructor said i can kick very good and she said i'm a natural at tkd. :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion is as long as the basics stay the MAIN FOCUS -- there is no harm in exposing the lower ranks to advanced techiques.

Kita

I also agree here. All students are different and some are capable of learning, however, instructors need to be cautious as a beginners joints, muscles, tendons, and ligaments are not as conditioned as an advanced belt and injuries can occur. Even teaching a kick just one belt level higher can-and in one case I personally know of-result in a joint injury that can set them back several months. The key here is to KNOW YOUR STUDENTS...and then teach them to their potential.

I do not agree with holding a student to a particular rank if they are ready to move on either-but that is another topic all together.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• 2 weeks later...
eh? i disagree badly. in the style i do with in the first 3 lessons i could do all the kicks punches and blocks, not perfectly but i could identify them all and do them ok. i like the way i was taught. it makes you feel as if you aint sticking out as the new kid, every one is tought at the same speed and time. i am an orange tip but am training at the quiality of a brown belt. (in gkr there is minimum time limits for every belt so i am doing extremely well)

watch out for that bus, what bus? splat!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
It depends on what their concentration level is. I've had white who were not ready for basic kicking at all. I've also had white belts and yellow belts that I've taught some basic jumping techniques because they had a lot of energy and were very motivated. I don't have as big a problem teaching kids higher level kicks, because to them it is a game anyway. They don't need as much the strict progression. Adults need to wait until their bodies and coordination are strong enough to handle it.

My opinion-Welcome to it.

WHITE BELT: FRONT KICK, ROUNDHOUSE, AXE KICK, SIDE KICK

Choi, Ji Hoon Instructor-

3rd Dan-Tae Kwon Do

3rd Dan Hapkido

International Haedong Gumdo Federation

Kyuk Too Ki (Korean Kickboxing/Streetfighting)