• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Would you teach a white belt all the kicks

in your martial art so that he/she can get the feel of the kicks???

Some instructors believe in teaching a hook-kick, round-house kick, back kick, side kick, axe kick to a white-belt. I think this is very overwhelming for a white belt. I believe he/she should master one kick at a time, most importantly developing balance and form. I think the logical order to teach kicks is:

1) Front kick

2) Back front kick

3) Front round house kick.

4) Back round house kick.

5) Front side kick

6) Back side kick

7) Back kick. Etc.

Designating one kick or a couple of kicks per belt, will let allow the students to focus more on perfecting one or two kicks. It’s also gives the student motivation to move to the next belt level to learn a new kick..

I asked the instructor why teach a white-belt so many kicks at once. He believes teaching many kicks to a white belt, will help develop the different muscles required for each kick. This was the way he was taught.

What do you guys think?

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My instructor requires you to learn 3 at white belt (front, axe and cresent kicks ... back leg). But he still gives them a chance to try the others if they want to. He tells them that if they can't do other kicks right now, it's fine, because they can get difficult.

Laurie F

Our White belts learn front kick, roundhouse kick, and side kick, generally with the back leg first, then with the front leg.

If they look like they have the basics down good, i would move them on to spinning back kick, and maybe crescent kicks or axe kicks, but that's actually unsusual...

they really only need to know 3-4 kicks at that level and work on variations of those kicks...

Well I've been fortunate enough to be part of 2 awesome dojos! One in NY and one in STL. The funny thing is --- there teaching style is completely different --- but both work!

At my old school we learned kicks in this order:

front kick - white belt

45 degree blade kick - white belt

side kick - yellow belt

round house - yellow belt

back kick - orange belt

back round house - orange

spin side - orange

hook kick - green belt

crescent kick - blue belt

spin hook kick - puple belt

double jump front kick - purple

flying side kick - brown

flying front kick - brown

jump back leg round - brown

jump spin hook - black

chinese cresent kick (scissor kick) - black

* That is when you were required to know those to progress. Sometimes we had seminars on kicking or did extra kicks in class and allowed people to follow along...but for the most part we kept it basic

At the school I am at now --- the adult class is all ranks 16 and above. On any given night there are at least 5 black belts in the place to help the underbelts --- on a good night there have been up to 14 dans roaming around. So when we do advanced kumite techniques they get to do them to. And I've seen some yellow belts throw and land some nice hook kicks as a result! Of course when we are partnered up if the lower rank doesn't get the basic front kick down (or side kick for that matter) --- that pair should continue to work that basic kick

My opinion is as long as the basics stay the MAIN FOCUS -- there is no harm in exposing the lower ranks to advanced techiques.

Kita

KarateForums.com Sempai

I agree Kita. The basics are the most important. Even my instructor (5th dan) goes back to basics to keep them sharp. But like you said, it doesn't hurt to let the lower ranks get a feel for the more advanced stuff.

Laurie F

Yup --- I think it keeps them encouraged when they see what there is to come and also helps them appreciate the art when the realize maybe that spin hook kick ain't as easy as it looks!
KarateForums.com Sempai

I concentrate on having newcomers get confident with front kick and roundhouse before adding anything else, next would be side and back.

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

I teach almost all the kicks (except for the more complicated ones) every class, to every student..through the basics portion of the warmups.

In this system, we don't get into many of the fancier kicks that the Korean systems do, but these are the ones we do every class for warmups. All are done both stationary, and walking.

front snap kick

side kick

round house

back kick (also spinning)

shin kick

jumping front snap kick (note: done for distance, NOT for height)

That's the way I've been doing it for over 20 years and it seems to be working just fine. I put high expectations on my students, and don't teach liek many other sensei, where certain techniques are learned at certain blet levels, such as this basic technique for white belts, but they can't do anything more complicated until they get a higher belt. My opinion, that's a boring way for students to learn.

I've found that white belts, once they have the basics down pretty good, can easily move right into much harder techniques with little, or no problems. I alternate with doing one easier (block/punch) technique, then go into a much more difficult technique, such as an armbar or takedown.

Regardless of the belt level (as long as they aren't TO new to the class), the students adapt quickly and easily and can nearly always do what I ask them to do.

Of course, the higher, more experienced belts will do it faster, smoother and more effectively, but the concept is placed in the lower students mind for digestion, and the next time we do it, they will get it much better.

Anyway, it's working fine for me, and I'm quite pleased with my students, regardless of the color of the belt they wear.

:karate:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"