Threat Response Solutions (TRS)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you cannot verbally diffuse the situation and cannot escape, and you know it's going to get physical, you are legally justified to end the threat.

Good luck establishing that after you've entered his defensable space first and then taken the first swing.

Read 'The Fence' or 'Fighting Without Fighting' by Geoff Thompson. This guy is an expert of fight psychology.

Read state and local law, by your duely appointed representative.

Also the move is not reactive strike it's a pre-emptive strike.

Welcom to jail... I've got a better one involving a pre-empting shot to the back of the head from about 30 feet. I go to jail, but unlike your scenerio, I *definately* win the fight.

Good luck establishing that after you've entered his defensable space first and then taken the first swing.

What did you mean by that?

You walked up to someone. You put your hand on them without their permission. You advanced through kicking, punching, and knee range to be close enough to hit them with an elbow without them taking a swing at you. You then "sucker punch" them with an elbow.

Now you, the martial artist, are standing in front of a jury; with a dozen qitnesses testifying that he let you get that close and you swung first, trying to tell them that "you knew it was going to get physical but couldn't escape".

Good luck.

No it isn't.

That is in no way involving the incompetence of the justice system. If you attack someone, you're initiating the conflict. Period.

Self defense is reactive, not pro active.

Did I not make it clear that you are REACTING to a verbal threat from the attacker? As I see it, someone verbally attacking you, then backing you up against a wall or grabbing you violently is beginning an attack on you. You have every right to end that threat. Unless of course you can escape or verbally dissuade the guy as I've said before.

Chin Blast - good for when a big guy is threatening you or you're backed up.

It's right at the top of the post. He is threatening you, verbally or physically it doesn't make much of a difference. The move is reactive. I say so right at the start, guys.

Hey cymry, I know where you're coming from :wink: I am familiar with the work of Geoff Thompson and he sure knows his stuff.

I agree with the pre-emptive striking that you have mentioned. Like you say, when it is obvious that there is no other alternative other than to fight (always the last choice).

I would rather face a jury than the inside of a coffin lid. Fights get nasty and you never know how far the punk looking for a fight is willing to go to "prove" himself.

I hope you and I never have the opportunity to find out..............

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

A court would not favor ruling in your favor if you initiated the physical conflict.

A mature person wouldn't let verbal conflict escalate into physical conflict, or that person atleast wouldn't be the one to initiate it.