• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yeah, I'm not ready yet either and I've been doing it for 6 mos. Most of the guys in my class are complete beasts compared to the schoolgirls in the karate and tang soo do classes I took (no offence to the skills of the instructors at those schools). One of the guys in my class is training ultra hard for a cage match. And he is not the toughest or most skilled in class, crazy times we're livin in, I tells ya.

Really, Wing Chun, not a traditionally spiritual type of art. I know this guy who is training under sifu Fong in Tucson and he made it sound like it was more spiritually centered than my MT class (what isn't). In any case as you said, WC guys do not train with their eyes set on the ring so a liitle bit of my post wasn't complete horsesh*t. :)

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

For an even lower price, use this discount code: CRA857

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's not really the ring thing.

it's just that a lot of guys don't seem to realise that if you don't test it, you won't know if it works or not.

on paper, and in words, wing chun works.

everything makes sense.

there is no reason why it shouldn't,

just like there is no reason that it can't work in the ring.

after all, it is, in a way, just a more complex form of boxing.

what i'm trying to say is, guys who do wing chun need to take a little side step sometimes and spar against other people of other styles.

i guess it is to do with the training.

i'm kinda forced to admit that the regular training we do (before us more senior students lock them doors at night... :brow:) just isn't realistic.

but then that's fine for them.

they don't ask for any more.

this isn't just in wing chun.

lots of people who practice/learn/do (take your pick) martial arts don't want to fight.

they learn just to learn.

we used to get a lot of trouble with another local wing chun club because we have punch bags and we sometimes 'fight' (not spar) with padding/body armour and gloves.

we know for a fact that they were learning in the full traditional way. not to be harsh but it was just slapping hands most of the time.

(we um, sent spies... dishonorable i know but what the hell, wing chun was about rebels anyway!)

we invited a lot of their senior students to come and play with us.

we had a long chat.

we exchanged a few ideas.

we crossed hands.

we haven't had a bad word from them since.

i'm not saying that their wing chun was/is bad.

it's just that they weren't ready for harder contact.

i mean, their technique was spot on, position was perfect but at times the commitment to the hit wasn't there and hence their control of the exchange was gone.

and now i've forgotten my original point....

well, hope you understand.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

I do understand, and that was kind of my point, this other school that taught in what you called the full traditional way, since they are not in a sport MA they are not as ready for a ring fight as a MT fighter would be (generally speaking). You kind of even implied that due to them being more traditional than your school they were even less prepared than your school's students for any kind of fight, in or out of a ring. So if you use ring fighting as your only criteria for whether MT is more or less effective than WC you are taking a somewhat narrow and biased view that will come out with MT on top. Not only is that going to be true most of the time but the reasons it is true are fairly obvious and it has nothing to do with whether or not WC is a good MA.

I heard that WC was pretty straight forward, not as flourishy (is that a word) as mantis, etc. and has a reputation for being effective (apparently not in the ring ;) ) so I thought about taking it, but I just don't have the patience for forms. :(

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz

well, less prepared maybe but not unable...

in a way, when we crossed hands, we were forced to get more technical because sometimes we relied too much on being able to 'over-power' them.

as for the forms in wing chun.

the forms are just there to help you remember the basic 'rules' of the style. it has all of the basic moves and is your catalogue.

in class, all we do is some drills, spar and chi sau.

give it a go, you might like it.

and if you don't?

well, at least you tried it which is better than not trying at all.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

What is chi sau? Sounds yummy.

Maybe I will try it. Like the butthole surfers said "it's better to regret something you did, than something you didn't do".

Oh, btw what was the thread topic again...oh yeah, MT is way better! :P

G r e e n D r a g o n

nay i say.

pizza is better.

it could look like a dog threw it up but once you get a sniff of that alluring scent, you are captive forever...

• 3 weeks later...
yeah but that video was released by their organisation.

it's like asking mercedes-benz what the best car on the market is...

or perhaps we're talking about different videos.

the only other vid is of the w.cheung vs e.boztepe.

they're both wing guys and there's too much controversy around that video.

considering both of them are "masters" that vid was awful...

and surprise surprise, both parties have long accounts of what really happend that explains why nothing that looked like wing chun was in that video...

like i say.

you can't trust videos.

unless you were actually there, you will NEVER know the circumstances.

you can have knowledge of the parties' accounts but you can never be sure.

um, i think i came across them somewhere.

didn't note the urls i'm afraid.

if i come across them again, i'll let you know.