• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jhoon Rhee Taekwondo Vs. ITF Taekwondo

I was going through the library the other day, and found a book by Keith Yates entitled "The Complete Book of Taekwondo Forms." In it, he performs hyung that he said he learned from Jhoon Rhee- Chon Ji, Tan Gun, To San, Won Hyo, Hwa Rang, Chung Mu, Kwang Gae, Kae Kaek, Po Eun, Chulgi, and Bassai. The hyung are virtually the same as the ones practiced in the ITF, only not as many. Can anybody exlain this? Did Jhoon Rhee ever study under Choi Hong Hi, and if so, how come he didn't learn all the hyung? And what's with Chulgi and Bassai anyway?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say who Rhee studied from, But he certianly is the right age to have studied wtih choi.

Rhee has his own set of books covering each of the forms.

I have not heard of Chulgi, But Bassai is a shotokan form. remember, that most of the Korean arts as we know them today derived from Japanese styles. Most TKD reject many of those forms now. Bassai is still taught in som TKD schools. It's a BB level forms in many TSD schools.

I have never seen a Joon Rhee student do Bassai though.

Well I do American TKD, which is the style that Jhoon Rhee taught here in America. From what I have heard he was sent a copy of the Chang Hon forms and learned them from that. I dont think Rhee ever studied with Choi. The forms are similar except that in the ITF they do the so called "Sine Wave". That is absent in Rhees forms, and they are supposed to be done without bobbing. Bassai Dai is indeed a shotokan form, and is found in some korean arts as Bat Sai Dai. I'm not sure but it may predate shotokan as well. As for Chul Gi, I looked around and it looks like this is the korean name for the Japanese form Tekki, or Neihanchi. As to why there arent as many I'm not sure. Jhoon Rhee has developed several of his own forms which are now taught in American TKD schools along with others including Chang Hon forms. My own school does Won Hyo, Hwa Rang, Chung Mu, and Gae Baek. Hope this helped a little. 8)

Long Live the Fighters!

I do Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan. We do the Bassai and Nahainchi forms (sp?), which was done in TSD (my previous art). Yes they are BB forms .... I can't wait to learn them. Watching them (even when I was in TSD), I just loved them. Amazing stuff (specially the bunkai).

Laurie F

They are Chang Hon forms not ITF. The ITF is just a federation. And as I stated before there are some differences between the forms as most American TKD people do them and how the ITF does them.

Long Live the Fighters!

They are Chang Hon forms not ITF. The ITF is just a federation. And as I stated before there are some differences between the forms as most American TKD people do them and how the ITF does them.

Chang Hon was the penname for General Choi , up until his death General Choi was ITF. The Chang Hon set (sine wave motion and all) is what is taught by the ITF.

Now that there are 3 ITF’s who knows what will happen next.

tufrthanu, is sine motion incorporated in your pattern set or do you train using pre 1980s Chang Hon set, and do you know if 2nd degree set includes Juche or Ko dang. Thanx in advance.

Respectfully,

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

At our school we don't do any Chang Hon forms after black belt. We switch to Japanese forms. Unsu, Empi, Bassai Dai, and Gojushiho. As to the colored belt ones that we do Won Hyo, Hwa Rang, Chung Mu, and Gae Baek which is usually a black belt form I think but we do it at 1st Gup. We do not do the sine wave part, we don't come up and down for each technique. Preferably we start out deep and stay at that same height. I should also say I have talked to another student of a school near me that does American TKD and it sounds like they dont do Chang Hon forms at all so there must be a certain amount of leeway given as to what the instructors can teach.

Long Live the Fighters!