• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nunchaku - Newbie Questions

Nick117

I'm not talking about the ball bearings, i'm talking about where it attaches to the stick. Maybe the stuff at the local store is just off these days, but I've seen some crap ones lately, and have seen a few break.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I know you said you wont be taking proper nunchuck training -- but are you part of a school? Most dojos have catalogs where you can order from. Champion and Asian Martial Arts are the prominent ones --- and may have websites were you can order if that is your best option.
KarateForums.com Sempai

"I'm not talking about the ball bearings, i'm talking about where it attaches to the stick. Maybe the stuff at the local store is just off these days, but I've seen some crap ones lately, and have seen a few break."

hmmm... i haven't come upon this problem myself. we don't have a local store round here in WI, but i'll be sure to look out for that :)

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

i'm kinda a newbe to nunckus but the pair i have is a fome padded one, i chose to get that pair caus i didn't want to be hurting myself with them while i was learning to train, there nice ballbering ones though.

Sparring - loved by many perfected by few

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest the wooden corded version as i have had 8 pairs of ball bearing nunchukas break on me. After time the inner section breaks away.

As well as this the corded style is traditional, faster, quieter and lasts longer if you use the correct cord (making sure the rotational area is sanded down so theres minimal friction).

Who Dares Wins.

i still hold that it's very helpful to start with chains. and you appreciate the benefits of cord after you've gone through chain. and your bearings shouldn't break if you keep them well lubricated.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

• 4 weeks later...

What about length? 12" or 14"?

Take the stick part of the nunchuck and press it up against your forearm with one end right at your elbow. The other end should be above your wrist. That's the rule of thumb as it was explained to me.

BTW, where would you go to find out about your local laws regarding using a weapon for self defense or even self defense in general?

you would go to your local library/city hall and ask them where they keep all of the books on your state laws.