• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training aids, ie grappling dummies etc

Lord Apocalypse

Hello all, does anyone use such things as grappling dummies in their training, most probably in your bunkai training? I read about a year ago in martial arts illustrated about budo man, which was a realistic dummy that was apparently a godsend in striking, grappling and practicing locks,throws holds etc, however i can't find a damn thing about it since.

Does anyone know where i could find out information about it or could recommend another grappling dummy that would suit the above purposes?

:karate:

Mijukumono ga! Warawaseru na!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I use, heavy bag, focus mits, speed ball etc. And i grappling dummy i made myself. Simple design. Get an old jumper and a pair of long pants, fill them with paper or rag and tape up all the holes.

No offense Sho-ju, but i dont think a heavy bag has the correct "assets" to work has a grappling dummy. I mean no arms or legs and not really shaped like a human.

I use, heavy bag, focus mits, speed ball etc. And i grappling dummy i made myself. Simple design. Get an old jumper and a pair of long pants, fill them with paper or rag and tape up all the holes.

No offense Sho-ju, but i dont think a heavy bag has the correct "assets" to work has a grappling dummy. I mean no arms or legs and not really shaped like a human.

No offense takken.

I don't think a dummy filled with papper and rags has any weight to it, my pins are tight and the paper and rags wouldn't offer anything similar to a body. Besides, I seen Mark Coleman and Kevin Randleman using a heavy bag and that's how I got the idea. It's ground and pound...

For your hands try nailing a phone book to a tree and punch it. :o It works. I train with a boxing club that uses this method.

Train the way you are going to fight.

Train the way you are going to fight.

I think we are all going to fight a telephone book taped to a tree at one point in our life. :lol:

But seriously, the phone book thing is a good idea. I did it myself with 2 trees next to each other so i could work some "multiple opponent drills".

But a heavy bag has it all, i mean arms legs and everything.

And sleeves filled with paper are closer to real arms? It doesn’t matter to me, spend the money on a grappling dummy…you won't learn to roll. The only way to roll is with someone. I just hope no one gets crushed under the weight of the paper filled shirt and jeans.

My bat sense's tell me you are angry Sho-ju. :D

And sleeves filled with paper are closer to real arms?

Well concidering that human arms normally go inside sleeves, then that means the sleeves are arm shaped. I dont see anything even close to being arm shaped on a heavy bag. :)

But i will agree that using a heavy bag to practise "ground and pound" and getting the feel for a weighted opponent is great. But for PRACTISING locks you need something that has at least a resemblance to limbs.