• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

By what kyu in shotokan do you break boards?

Ti

• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry for grave digging, but i just thought id share a slightly humourous story that probably has little or no releveance or value to anyone, but ill force it upon you anyway, i went to stay with a guy down south that runs a zanshinkai dojo, just before christmas, and it was the last session of the year so he asked if i wanted to participate, he was doing tamarawashi (sp?!) with a load of roofing tiles, and my only previous experience with breaking was boards for demonstrations at school summer fairs and stuff. so everyone was just doing either taesho or geiakuzuki, and i kinda wanted to show off, so i did a yokogeri that broke it cleanly in two and i got a few claps, after everyone had had a turn, there was a spare tile, and as the guest i was asked if i wanted to break it, and after the elation of having broken the first tile with a quite good kick, i decided to go for a mawashi geri, except with out thinking to do it with the koshi, i did it with the top of my foot, and the tile did break but it wasnt the only thing that cracked, and an entire class of perfect strangers all cringed and sed "ooooh" in unison, i tried to put a brave face on it and hobbled over to the corner, needless to say i still had a limp at new years :-( oh and ti, whilst it is an experience, breaking isnt all that :karate:

Kicking to the head is like punching to the toes

we have never broken boards or any thing, ok it may look good, but could you imagine damageing your hand, and then it getting worse when you are older.

i would like to carry on MA until i am old and not have that problem.

the last person i was try to break a board did not break it and curts and swore, and it was at a kids, demonstration, not good.

:o

oliver willison

You need to pick another style than Shotokan if you want to do Tameshiwara (breaking).

We do breaking in World Oyama Karate, as do all Kyokushin derivatives.

It's not about ego or showing off its about confidence in ones ability to deliver full contact without injury to oneself.

We break baseball bats with our shins (two strapped together), boards and ice with our hands, elbows, feet and heads.

ET

It's not about ego or showing off its about confidence in ones ability to deliver full contact without injury to oneself.

We break baseball bats with our shins (two strapped together), boards and ice with our hands, elbows, feet and heads.

ET

Sorry Ted, in another thread I said the same thing and I have to say it again; this is too stupid.

Please anyone don't do this; it has no use what so ever and the potential danger for (long term) injuries is far too high. The benefits (actually there are none) don't weigh up against the downside.

Why do you need so much confidence in your ability to deliver full contact?

If you think you need this in SD; you don't. It is enough to spar with others.

René

That last comment about breaking ice reminded me of an episode of The Simpsons where they do martial arts and the sensei says to Bart (when asked about breaking) "First fill head with knowledge, then break ice with it". Well, it amused me anyway.... Anyone else seen that episode?

On the subject of breaking, I know a TKD instructor (he drinks in the same pub as me!!) who once did a breaking demonstration at the local library and arts centre. He ended up breaking more than boards...

He did a kick technique and one half of the board flew out of the hand of the person holding it and ended up zooming up and smashing one of the lights. Needless to say, his club weren't ever invited back to do demonstrations at the library again.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Breaking anything for demonstration is not real karate, sorry - do some research. Now if you want modern sports karate, go ahead and break all you want, just don't ever get serious with a real karate-ka.