• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

By what kyu in shotokan do you break boards?

Ti

Elbow is the safest and prob the simplest to do but I prefer palms and knife hands. Not a fan of foot breaking only because I don't like holding boards for kickers lol so I know they don't like holding them for me.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will probably learn to break boards when you get good enough to know that you don't need to learn how to break boards... Try working on a nice, crisp sounding makiwara! That's far better than breaking boards.

BTW - No, we don't break boards in Shotokan.

- Killer Miller -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

• 2 weeks later...

1st Kyu and above only in my schools

for the reason I believe that if someone tried and failed too early they might loose confidence and be scared of hitting

I'm not saying failure is always bad of course not.

I've done it and if's a feeling of achievement.

Sure you can say it's only wood. Boards don't fight back etc

but if you can punch wood with ease it makes you feel you could punch a person and hurt them with ease (under the right conditions!) :)

700 hours of official training. Injury finished me dammit!

1st Kyu Wado Ryu

Hi all, I'm new here; this forum looks pretty cool! :)

When I first joined my dojo about 3 or so years ago, a kid who started at the same time as me asked my sensei if he broke boards. My sensei (who is a joiner) looked at him strangely and said "yeah, I use a saw". The kid didn't know what to say after that!

I think that by the time a person is technically able to break boards then they have enough wisdom to know that they don't actually need to break them with their hands or feet. However, it still looks cool! :D

A.~ 1st kyu brown belt :karate: :D

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

heh aefibird

since humans have eyes seeing impressive/beautiful things is a pleasure.

Part of breaking wood is to 'show off' in this sense.

I agree it looks cool.

Destroying objects is fun!

so long as they aren't mine and I don't have to pay to fix them ;)

700 hours of official training. Injury finished me dammit!

1st Kyu Wado Ryu

It may look cool, but whats the point? Looking good =ego and ego in Karate-Do is not good. Ego leeds to bad personalities. Remember Karate-Do is not just physical techniques it all about trying to become better people and a big ego is not an improvement.

Having ego in karate is OK. After all, it is a physical activity and being good at it builds a healthy amount of ego. Nothing wrong with it.

We're humans. Most important thing that karate can give us: Enjoyable physical training and a hobby. Not much more.

If one needs karate to become a better person...well, I must say that that one has really been lost in life. I suggest some reading to be done.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland