• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

By what kyu in shotokan do you break boards?

Ti

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I broke for the first time at 8th kyu. We had a breaking seminar either once a year or every other year. The only time it was required was to pass your black belt test. If you did not break your boards you did not pass. There are some shotokan schools that break.

Like I said we don't do it but I have done it and from what Ive found it has nothing to do with rank or MA ability anyone can do it if they have enough guts.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I agree, G. I can break three broards and I'm not a black belt. But it does take guts for some people. I have to break slabs of brick for my black belt test. But it doesn't bother me (I'm actually looking forward to it). Most people freak. It's not that bad, trust me.

Laurie F

I tend to use axe, hammer, saw or other useful tool. However, I seldom feel a need to break boards. Logs, perhaps, but not boards - boards are excellent as construction material.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Anyone can break board but your nukles will heard if you don't give your all you won't break it..

karatekid nice music your dojang

I am still training however, having dabbled in Shotokan and Shotokai Karate. I am please to report that Kenshukai is one of the strongest and most disciplined styles ( i did not write this)