• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Villari infomercial " who needs an instructor"

A better supplement than a book, but a supplement nevertheless.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• 4 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I guess you send a tape in for each rank.

Somebody reviews them and lets you know how you are doing or if you pass "the test". Maybe if you had no schools at all where you live and you really wanted to be involved in MA in anyway...........great.

I think the dvd set is best for review to help you train and learn your forms, etc as you are thinking about testing, want to get an edge, dont have private lessons, etc at your dojo.

My dojo is based on Shaolin Kempo Karate but it is so much more than that. The dvds could help me but there is jui jitsu, muay thai, etc that the dvds do not cover.

As a teen I went to Fred Villari's Studios of Self Defense and I really injoyed it. Its a good program. Even if it was a "McDojo".

It is really all about your teacher in the dojo and not what the sign said at the door. That goes with all MA.

Tip #1 blocking with your face makes them think they are winning!

Hehe, a long time ago, as a joke, a friend of mine gave me a 'beginner's guide to karate,' by Villari.

I agree that he runs McDojos and i've truly never been impressed with his mindset. But, whatever...

As to videos, if you already have a firm grasp of a system, getting the videos is a great addition. As a 'stand-alone' means to learn a system, no. As a means to get an 'awareness' of techniques and applications applied in other systems, yes. Being 'aware' of what can come at you from practitioners of different systems is important, as surprise is one thing you really do want to take out of the equation. Videos offer you insight. They clearly cannot teach you 'how to,' but they can help you to develop counters, based on your own system.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Okay, will consider the following please...

1) You know I actually used to advocate self training like crazy but it does have it's limits. I don't think you can learn by mimeking a video all the time no, but I dont think you have to go to a dojo your whole MA career either. I went to a dojo for about 8 months and now I have to stop for a while till I get through A-school, i am still training at home and, yes! oh god! I'm going to learn some new technique and maybe even a kata or two from books/video! Excommunicate me martial arts community! no sorry thats not true, there is a happy median.

2) In my situation, it really doesnt hurt me that much since I have people form other martial arts sparring with mne, helping with hold breaks, and helping me compare my movements with the masters in the videos/books. and it's not a perment thing, let me stress that, self training is okay for spurts, you can learn some new stuff on your own, maybe it will be easier for you to translate some principals by looking at some deffrinte approaches than your sensai, everyone thinks different. But even in thoughs spurts find someone to train along side.

3) dojo's are expensive!

4) Places like this should really help out the people who have to self train for a time, you guys always complain about how there going to get something wrong, will hell! Help them out for peats sake if you all know so much!

5) I kinda think of it like a foriegn language, some people can learn foreign languages fluently from tapes, some need an instructor. However even if you can learn from a tape you at least need someone, a nattive speaker maybe, to talk to. That doesnt mean you have to go to a class everyday for it though.

6) I learned to side kick with power on my own, my sensai couldnt drill it into my head but a phraseing in a book got it stuck there.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

Like many have said, video training is good for a supplement. It too can be okay for someone who has a background in any MA system. Someone who understands body mechanics, angles, footwork, etc.

It's not good for those starting out because you cannot build a solid foundation without an actual instuctor to guide you in building that solid foundation. :)

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I agree with you pacificshore partially but in the end you need flesh and blood to give you the details regardless of your skill level or previous experience to grasp the true art.

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro