• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Villari infomercial " who needs an instructor"

I saw an infomercial where Villari has his " White to Balck belt " videos, become a master with his proven techniques. If you have a mailbox and a vcr you can be a BlackBelt.

I think that someone who has been tarining people for as long as he has should know better. There has to be time with a qualified person to really know any art.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Agreed...however, money is money. He knows what it takes and I'm sure as an instructor he teaches well, but there are people who are just to lazy to go to the dojang but not too lazy to order some videos. These are usually the same people who have the very expensive Bowflex clothes hanger.

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to point at him and laugh

I think videos are fine as additional information to a Martial Artist, but not the primary source of study.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I think videos are fine as additional information to a Martial Artist, but not the primary source of study.

Very true. I also believe in a buyer beware policy. A healthy fit body does not come in a can and learning to defend yourself does not come in a video or dvd. So if a person pays out good money think they can learn all that there is about a system from a video, well they deserve what they get.

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to point at him and laugh

I use Tae-Bo on top of my training. I have found that, they dumb the termanology down a bit so people understand it a bit better. But Doing MA AT HOME IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR HANDS ON TRAINING at a dojo. I use it to increase Cardio endrance. So the tapes could be good or just be a waste of $. Buyer Beware.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

Depends on the system of fighting we are talking about. Some MA's are very straight forward and some are very intricate. The one's that are more intricate have to be studied with the aid of an instructor.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I think if you put a lot into it you will get back also if you have a partner to train with and cant go to a dojo why not.

And how would you know if you were doing it correctly or not with or without an partner? That is the point. You may be able to grasp a couple of things a punch is a punch a kick is a kick. However, think about some common mistakes a lot of people have such as using the shoulder to produce power, locking up your elbow when punching, dropping your fooot when you kick. These are things that you may not notice while practicing but an instructor would be able to help with.

geez.... you can't learn a system from video people, it doesn't WORK.

why is it so hard for people to comprehend this?

anyone ever heard of a great runner, or ice skater, or swimmer, or *insert sport here* who learned from video?

it's like learning from books, it's very limited and best suited to supplemental material or review.

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey