• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just plain Kenpo Karate

rafabrega

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I think Ed Parkers system is situation-based self-defence, which makes it difficult to apply until you have reached a high level of proficiency. It’s also easy to see that a lot of flash is part of the system, IMO; a lot of traditional martial artists prefer direct technique over flash. IMO of course. This doesn’t make the style less effective just harder to use.

alot of flash?

my understanding was that Ed Parker STREAMLINED the system so that there wouldn't be many unnecessary movements and it was very economical and logical.

what did you see that was flashy in your opinion?

rafabrega to answer your question, "just plain kenpo" doesn't exist that i'm aware of. kenpo is sort of a generic term "fist law" so it's kind of like saying "just plain karate"... there's always variations and histories behind systems that branch out.

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

"Kenpo" does not mean "fist law" in anywhere else but in Ed Parker's homecooked system. If you're talking about the old system, you might actually want to write it as "kempo".

Try reading about Shigeru Nakamura's Okinawa Kempo. It is a traditional school of a martial art often called as karate nowadays. It is self-defence based, no flash and very basic. Nothing even close to Ed Parker's flashfest.

If you're located in USA and want to check out a traditional system instead of homecooked one, try surfing http://www.argedon.de/akka/history/okinawakempo.htm

Might actually be worth it.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland