• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

first attempt at sparring since I've gotten back into TKD

He seemed to be going at it full force pretty much.. the head shot dazed me pretty badly... no helmet and it prolly would have either knocked me out or made me fall to the ground. I think the more I was getting through his defense the more aggressive he got.

"Fear does not exist in this dojo does it?"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You asked if there was anything you can do outside of class to get better at sparring? The answer is simple: when a runner wants to get better at running he has to run and when a fighter wants to get better at fighting he has to.............fight. Easy as it gets. and remember if you ever stop taking lumps it is time to move to a bigger pond. :D

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

Yea, he really should not have been sparring you that hard. I mean, he should have beaten you, but he should have toned it down a bit. You either intimidated him, or he just lacks control. A 2nd dan really should have control though. There's also the possibility that he's a jerk.

Like everyone has been saying, don't get discouraged. Keep sparring. You'll be able to smack him around eventually if you keep training with intensity

Yep, those roundhouses to the head can be tricky. I'm a fan.

Don't get discouraged and train hard, You'll eventually get better with lots of training, cardio helps too i'll help give you a good spring in your kicks. Fighting a skilled fighter is good because it shows you your weaknesses. A good fighter will exploit weakness in their opponent and then use it to beat on them. Just think on areas to improve and train hard. It'll come back, good luck

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

Azmyth,

If people are not earning their ranks, you should find another school. Itr's bad for the student, it's bad for you, it's bad for the art. I cannot stnad schools that just give out belts. Second, if a 2nd degree cannot exhibit control, or does not want to exhibit control, again, you should look for another school. it means there is a lack of respect being taught.

Here is a better idea. Give him the benefit of the doubt. If he goes to hard ask him to lighten up. If he still goes to hard back him off. If you cant back him off dont spar him and tell your sensei or sabum. They may decide to back them off or discipline them some other way.

Long Live the Fighters!

Well, the ones who have belts who truly shouldn't are very young kids.. prolly 14 and under..

The black belt I sparred.. was going rather rough, but I was a quite bit taller than him so he could have been intimidated by my size and that I was older. I was also not holding back that much, since we were both about the same physical size.

As for the reputability of the school.... its the only one within driving distance of me. Plus.. the school has been open since I can remember.. and I've seen some really good fighters come out of there. Sadly things change with the times.. and back then.. you didn't have parents complaining, because then it was more about training.. rather than a babysitter. I want kids to be able to do martial arts.. but sometimes I wish my school had an adult only class.. because 9 times out of 10.. their are like 3 unruly kids in there.. that make the rest of us lose training time by playing and not listening.

I work hard, and I want to be the best I can be.. there are alot of good students in my school.. I just look at it this way.. the ones who show they have worked hard.. have my respect.. and the others.. I just don't pay them any attention.

"Fear does not exist in this dojo does it?"

It should be split into kids and adult classes even if liberally. At our school 13 and up can join the adult class. Otherwise there is just too much risk of injury, a kid decides to go running around as an adult winds up for a spinning hook kick and bam the kid gets nailed. Some places have classes aside from the regular ones where it is for families, parents and kids train together. However, that should be in addition to the regular classes. In the end though its how happy you are there.

Long Live the Fighters!