• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

One couple, two dojo/dojangs???

With your spouses and significant others in other schools, do you take time to exchange techniques or ideas in training?

That's a good question to ask also :) I didn't think about that. Thanks :) And yes, I show my bf a lot of what I learn. He blends it into his training at his school. He shows me stuff, too.

I'm trying to figure out how a couple gets along in SEPERATE schools, not the same one, but thanks for your answers :)

G95, yea he knows ;)

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

With your spouses and significant others in other schools, do you take time to exchange techniques or ideas in training?

Not really...we both have "our thing". Besides, I have done my fair bit of her art in my past (aside the karate training). So, I don't really need stuff from her art - and she doesn't need stuff from my art. We both have our own personal thing. Positive thing is that we both understand when other needs to train or goes to a seminar - no nagging about "do you really have to train today" or "weekend in WHERE?"

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Not a "mate" per se, but I dated a gal quite a few years ago for about 4-5 months that was a 1st Dan in AKKA TKD. I was a 2nd Dan in Shorinryu.

Our classes were on the same nights and she would come over to my house (my dojo was out back) and she would show me what she had learned that night in class.

Not to bad mouth TKD, but what she was learning was just plain STUPID! I would spend 5-15 minutes showing her why what she had learned wouldn't work, or would leave herself so exposed and vulnerable to a counter attack, that to try to attempt these techniques was foolishness. Most of the stuff we worked on was against grabs, weapons, high kicks and jumping/flying kicks. As we worked on these techniques, you could see her brain making the connections. :idea:

I also would work on her sparring techniques, and after 2 months, she was repeatedly kicking her sensei's butt, along with all of the other senior students on a regular basis during sparring.

All I showed her was lateral body movement, or as we call it..change of body, or body shifting. As her attacker threw his/her technique at her, she would move to the side and launch a conter attack at the same time.

She told me that her instructor, at first, praised her for scoring on her, but was getting increasingly frustrated...and yes, angry..that a lower student (I think he was a 4th Dan) was rather easily defeating his attacks EFFECTIVELY!

For me, it made me smile when she told me this. :D

Why didn't she quit her class and join mine? Because she had a black belt already, and didn't want to start over.

Our breakup didn't have anything to do with our different martial arts. I had to move out of the area. Bummer too, as she was a real sweetheart. :bawling:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"