• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

One couple, two dojo/dojangs???

I was talking with my instructor yesterday. He was telling me about how and why he runs his school the way he does (since I work there now, he was basically giving me the "low-down" so to speak).

But the topic turned towards my boyfriend and I training in two different schools. He told me that there are many couples that do that. There are actually three of us girls in my dojang that have boyfriends/husbands that train at other schools. One reason (there were others, but I'll add those later) he gave was that most couples are in MA's for different reasons, which is true on my part. I'm in it for self defense. My boyfriend is in it basically for fitness and fun. He is at a sport school, and I am at one that does mostly self defense stuff.

Is there others on here that have "better-halves" in another school? If so, why? How do you get along, or how do you make home training work?

Opinions?

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Should make local tournments intresting lol.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

The male ego and desire to "protect" my mate might cause some complications in the dojo if they train together. Add to that the sometimes close physical contact (ground fighting in the guard, bear hugs from the rear, etc.) that could potentially cause some tension especially if there are underlaying insecurities in the relationship.

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin

Good point, pmh1nic. Good thing it doesn't have a bad affect on my relationship :) I'm just wondering about others, and why they don't train together.

G95, my boyfriends school doesn't let him go to tournies outside of the "schools appointed" tournies, but I'd prolly kick his butt anyways LOL. We are the same rank, but I've been training longer ;) He knows it LOL

Laurie F

COUTERPOINT:

My GF started training with me about 6-8 months ago. It has only made our relationship better. Before although she would try not to, she would sometimes resent the time I spent training especially if something came up that cut our usual time together short. Now she is there with me training 2 or 3 times a week(I take two courses she takes one). We can spend time together after practice too because we are already seeing each other. It has really helped us in other ways too, we both find it sexy to be in great shape and she likes being able to handle me a little more. For example if we play wrestled before she had no chance and she could tell I was taking it easy. Now with a little training she can hang in there much better.

Rock Paper Scissor

Punch Knee Kick

^ME^ ^MY DOJO^

You wrestle with your girlfriend?

You don't?

Hmm...my gf is also a martial artist. We just can't help it - we wrestle and tackle each other every now and then. Goes easily into a some kin dof joint locking game. Just pure fun. And can progress to...well, less martial things. :P

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

The only time my wife gets involved is when she gripes at me for returning home with more bruises and injuries than what I left the house with. ha.ha.ha.ha.ha..

With your spouses and significant others in other schools, do you take time to exchange techniques or ideas in training?

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to point at him and laugh

KK75 as long as you let im know whos the boss. LOL

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."