• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Grading points

WapCaplet

I discovered recently that during our gradings, the instructors use a points system to determine whether we passed or not. Different points are awarded for the various basics, combinations, kumite and kata.

There are a total of 36 points I think. However, I learned that the kata for each grading is only worth 2 points. I sort of assumed that the kata would be worth a lot more since it seems like the most complicated part to learn. Basics are basics and once you know them you essentially spend the rest of your life improving them (they ALWAYS need improving). Out of 36 points, basics and combinations must take up the most while kata is still only 2 points.

Are other dojos like this? It seems almost like a pass/fail system as far as the kata is concerned. Either you know it or you don't. With only 2 points to spare, it doesn't appear there is any room to grade the proficiency of the kata, like stance, timing, kime, etc.

Thoughts?

Wap

"Fighting fighting. Same Same"

"But you know karate!"

"Someone always know more..."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wow - only 2 out of 36 points for kata - I find that surprising and infact somewhat disturbing... :bawling:

Traditional Karate (speaking from a Shotokan background) is split into 3 equal parts:

Kihon (basics and combinations)

Kata (all up to your grading kata)

Kumite (pre-arranged or free fighting)

All aspects of Shotokan fit into one of these categories and all are required to be done to a satisfactory level for gradings, being very poor at kata will fail you your grading (likewise for kihon or kumite).

:o

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

Is it possible that the 2 points for kata were for knowing the embusan (pattern)? Im quite sure your instructors paid close attention to your form, basics and stances in the kata as well as in all other parts of the test. We do not use a point system. We have set requirements and standards for each grading. If you dont know it or can not do it properly you will not grade.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

I'll have to check with my sensei tonight. It could very well be that the 2 points are just for knowing the pattern.

I know that our grading is divided up into kata, kihon and kumite, but it's very possible that many aspects of kihon are reviewed while performing the kata (kicks, punches, blocks, etc). I'm hoping that's it, because it would be very unsettling to know I could NOT perform my kata at all and still get 34 points out of 36 (assuming everything else was perfect).

Is it fair to request that a martial arts organization provide a detailed list of how students are to be graded and what each area is worth? If I requested this and was told I am not allowed to see it, should I be concerned?

Wap

"Fighting fighting. Same Same"

"But you know karate!"

"Someone always know more..."

Is it fair to request that a martial arts organization provide a detailed list of how students are to be graded and what each area is worth? If I requested this and was told I am not allowed to see it, should I be concerned?

It is certainly a fair question. We have our requirements posted right on the wall. There is no secret on what we have to know. You should not get a problem if you ask. You are after all a $$$Paying Customer$$$ :brow: as well as student.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

I've been teaching since 1978 and don't use a points system for belt tests.

Basically what I do is this. I tell the students that they are being tested literally EVERY CLASS..and this is true!

They are judged every class on attendance, effort/spirit, attention and attitude. Along with whatever techniques are required for that belt of course.

When the student is where I want him/her to be for a specific belt level, I will tell them that the next class they are to be tested. This could be in 2 days, or next week. (crunch time!)

At this point, they have basically already passed the test, and the formal testing process is a formality. HOWEVER, if they fail to do what is required of them during the test, they can still fail it. An example would be that they can't perform the kata, which they should already know or I wouldn't be testing them. If this happens, I will offer words of encouragement, give them a quick shoulder massage maybe, and let them try again.

I chalk it up to testing nerves.

Our classes aren't the typical militaristic type where students have to yell "YES SIR!!!" to my every word. I dislike that sort of dojo. We're much more relaxed, speak on a first name basis, students can laugh at me, because I sure laugh at them when they screw up! lol

Getting side tracked here. Sorry. Points...yes, ask the association for specific guidlines as to what is worth how much. I would think that should be info you would get prior to a test anyway.

Good luck, and keep training!

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I use kumite also for testing, but again, that's a "every class" observation that I make, not just during the test itself.

I also look at "Are they doing their warm up exercises hard?"

Are they in class most of the time, or if absent, why? Dinner and a movie aren't good excuses..unless it's a birthday/anniversary or something important.

Skipping class to go to a concert isn't a good excuse, but homework is. Unfortuantely, that's not easy to verify, but I had one young man years ago that called and said he can't make it to the class because of a big test the next day. One of my other students saw him going into a movie theatre as he drove by on his way top my house for class.

I asked the young man about how he did on his test during the next class. He said he got an "A"! lol Well, I said "You get an "F" for my class, because you were seen going to a movie that night." He had no argument for me.

Attendance and effort are critical in my opinion in regards to t.esting. I don't care how quick you pick up on things, if you're absent a lot, or not giving me 100% for a 2 hour class, then you're not getting a belt. Simple, and all of my students are aware of this.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

What? That is really surprising that is the lowest of the Low that i can think of.

I thoung its like this.

50% kata

25% techniqu

5% dertimined

10% kumite

5% Behaviour ^__^

5% others

i guess all these i don't reall know

I am still training however, having dabbled in Shotokan and Shotokai Karate. I am please to report that Kenshukai is one of the strongest and most disciplined styles ( i did not write this)