• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

has this happened to you?

I asked my instructor if we were allowed to use foam dipped sparring gear. He said yes.. but one catch.. I had to order it from him. Meaning I pay double..

That sucks.. but I guess thats how he stays in biz.

"Fear does not exist in this dojo does it?"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sounds funny to me. Our Hanshi says any time we want anything to let him know. He has a business account with a supplier and can get a lot better prices than we could. He has even bought some equipment to give to us. I think a Sensei should be helping his students, not making a profit off of them (for equipment anyway). IMHO

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

While I never force students to buy from me, I do offer gear at discounted prices and I feel that the gear I use is the best out there for our sparring style. Your instructor may be feeling the same. Also, some Taekwondo associations require you use only their gear, then your are stuck. I wouldn't leave a school, over it, but it would make me look at how much money besides tuition is going into my training. Just something to think about.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

Maybe I'm overreacting..

I did find a good price on some "non name brand" gear..

It wasn't macho, century or pro force stuff.. so that could be why.

he gets all his stuff direct from century which all his gear is excellent.. I guess maybe I was trying to go the cheap route and might have also been getting what I pay for in cheap gear.

He ordered the century classic kicks and punches. I already had a century head guard, and a pro force sparring vest.

I think if he really wanted to take my money he would have made my buy all my safety stuff from him such as my cup, and shin guards and forearms guards.. and although he did say he could order those as well.. he didn't insist.

I think he was just trying to insure I got good stuff.. and not get ripped.

does 33.99 for a pair of century punches sound about right?

"Fear does not exist in this dojo does it?"

It sounds right if he doesn't have a wholesale account with them. He's obviously still trying to make some money though. Is this a one time thing or do you get hit with other misc. expenses from his class too?

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

The club I train with also requires that all protective gear for kumite be purchased from the club. They claim the main reason for this is so that they can be assured that the gear being used is approved and safe. I guess I can understand that it is easier for them to be assured that everyone is using proper protective gear if it is all the same, but I am also certain that this is another opportunity for the organization to make a little $$$ on the side.

Actually I have never compared the prices to anything to see if they are fair or not. Does anyone know of a good Canadian supplier of martial arts protective gear, perhaps one with a website so I can do some comparison shopping?

In a way I can understand why most martial arts clubs try to find other ways to make extra money (grading fees, "revenue rainbow", gear, workshops, etc). Ultimately, the martial arts orgs are a for-profit business. Just like a movie theater expects you to buy your popcorn and soda from them, it's not horrible to expect a martial arts studio to want you to purchase all your gear from them. And just like a movie theater, sometimes those prices are higher than in the "real world".

Just my 2 cents.

Wap

"Fighting fighting. Same Same"

"But you know karate!"

"Someone always know more..."

Selling gear, weapons, and extra stuff is a great way for a studio to cover other expenses. So what if the teacher gets to keep 3 or 4 bucks on an order of punching gear, if it probably goes towards:

keeping the studio open.

keeping the heat in the studio on.

buying targets

etc.

I would say that if your teacher sells stuff that is the same price, or (maybe) slightly more expensive than if you were to get it somewhere else, then you should do your best to support your teacher. It's only fair. Now if he's adding a big markup (which it doesn't sound like in this case) then maybe you should move on.

The cheapest price isn't always the best deal in the long run, IMHO.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.