• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata Video

Sho-ju

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I had a chance to take a look at the Steve Stewart videos. I didn't like'em. Too much flash, nothing of use. Mr. Stewart would make noises with his mouth as he hit the target, sounds like vooop and then slap his bicep or shoulder. I guess it could work on someone who has never trained before or on uki's who stand still.

Out of 10 I give it a 5. :D

One series that I purchased a few years ago, and possibly he's made upgrades since then, is Sensei George Alexanders Shorinryu kata videos. I do NOT recommend those, as the tapes are of poor quality (3rds-4th generation copys it looks like), and the people doing the kata are making serious, BASIC mistakes in their movements.

I'd steer clear of his tapes personally.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Yeah, Alexander is a master of hyperbole. He likes to make money and train very little. Despite that he is somehow a higher rank than those who are decades senior to him in his "core" system. I smell scheisty-ness!

Traditional=Eternal

Nidan, Hakutsurukan

Hohan-1...then you'd understand when I saw the first of the video tapes with Pinan Shodan on it..maybe 8-10 people on a stage doing the kata and you can't tell if they're blck belts, green, blue or whatever because the quality is so poor, and when they get to the mpovement where they do the spear thrust with the right hand, a girl in the front row, middle..does a hand bock, then quickly changes to a spear thrust!

GOOD GRIEF!!! I would NEVER consider showing a tape, especially one that I was selling as an example of my art, or for training purposes, that had an obvious screwup like that in it! As I watched the whole tape, I saw many other examples of bad form, or just plain mistakes!

Another tape had a ourdoor demonstration, where Alexander takes a nunchaku and greaks an apple or small melon that a guy holds in his hand, and the pieces go flying out into the audience. After a few seconds, someone that got hit with a chunk of it, tosses it back at Alexander and HITS HIM..and it's on the tape! Why didn't he edit that out???

Like I said..I don't recommend them.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"