• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello and welcome...

WapCaplet

Hello all! Welcome to the new and improved KarateForums website!!

What's new, you ask? Why, I am! That's what. That makes the website new, doesn't it? Maybe not improved though...

Ok, perhaps a lame way to introduce myself. I just discovered this forum this morning and thought I would join. I've been studying Shotokan Karate for the last year with the ACKU in Calgary, Canada. Anyone in the vicinity? Only a green belt so far, but I am absolutely LOVING karate training.

I guess I came to the right place. Here's a quick question to get some different opinions:

The club I train at does very little contact when teaching kumite. It's classed as "semi-contact". Bascially we learn the 5-step and 1-step required for grading as well as practice our basics against one another, but there is no free-sparring in the dojo. There is a seperate kumite class that you can take, but the required protective gear costs almost $500, so I haven't checked that out yet.

So the question is, how important to you feel full free-sparring is when one is first learning karate?

I enjoy the method of teaching so far, but I realize how important sparring can be. Obviously karate is a martial art and is designed for combat. Am I jeopardizing myself by not learning to free-spar now, as opposed to waiting until Brown or Red belt level?

Anyway, just wanted to get some different opinions, and say hi.

Cheers,

Wap

"Fighting fighting. Same Same"

"But you know karate!"

"Someone always know more..."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt