• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gangster rap is making a comeback

wrestlingkaratechamp

what got him famous was the thousainds of gay/* rights activists

Why is the word "l.e.s.b.i.a.n" censored? It's not a curse word or derogatory term...

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally but not exclusively prefer music with literary depth and vocal tenure over rhythmic monotony and superfluous rhyming. :D

Then try real hip hop...not mtv hip hop.

Talib Kweli, Common, Kanye West, Nas, etc.

MtV doesn't know hip hop from pop....I hate how they promote garbage rap so the generation of adults have more to attack rap for. Rest assured, what they play on mtv and bet half the time is not real hip hop.

People say to listen to rock and the political songs, or punk, or whatever. I'll tell you for a fact, intelligent hip hop is by far the hardest art to write, lyrically. You have to write two to three times more for each verse, and it has to have a more meaningful flow. However, the upside to this is that the verse can be much more creative, and much more powerful.

Put up some punk lyrics that you think are good, or some rock lyrics...and I will blow you away with some amazing hip hop lyrics.

VERY WELL PUT SPECIAL K....

AMONG THOSE EXCELLENT ARTISTS YOU'VE NAMED THERE ARE ALSO:

THE ROOTS

KRS-ONE

PUBLIC ENEMY

A TRIBE CALLED QUEST

WU-TANG CLAN

BEASTIE BOYS

AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON

I get pretty frustrated with the stuff that is played on the radio and TV these days. The whole *bling* *bling* cash money deal is extremely weak. Like I understand if they have a couple songs like that - but when every video you have starts off with rims spinning and ends with rims spinning its only a matter of time before people are gonna get sick of that.

I've defended rap music on this board before and others have fired back and told me that if I want to listen to music about the grind and social injustice then I should listen to punk. Then they went off on rap music again....the funny thing was that they completely contridicted everything I had said.

Anyway even though I love rap music its not the only type of music that I listen to that is socially concious. I also listen to Rage Against the Machine which I believe are the most hardcore socially concious artists out there.

^^^

Yes sir.

Here is a good example of exactly what we are talking about...

Common:

Somedays I take the L to gel with the real world

Got on at 87th, stopped by this little girl

She recited raps, I forgot where they was from

In 'em, she was saying how she made brothers cum

I start thinking, how many souls hip-hop has affected

How many dead folks this art resurrected

How many nations this culture connected

Who am I to judge one's perspective?

Though some of that * y'all pop true it, I ain't relating

If I don't like it, I don't like it, that don't mean that I'm hating

I just want to innovate and stimulate minds

Travel the world and penetrate the times

Escape through rhythms in search of peace and wisdom

Raps are smoke signals letting the streets know I'm with 'em

For now I appreciate this moment in time

Ball players and actors be knowing my rhymes, it's like

sweet!

im really into hip-hop lyrics myself...alot of the time i will just sit there and play a rap cd just to pick up the lyrics... i can truly say that socially concious rap music speaks to me in ways that others will not understand

AMONG THOSE EXCELLENT ARTISTS YOU'VE NAMED THERE ARE ALSO:

BEASTIE BOYS

:bdaybiggrin:

Oh ya... they've got some really deep, "socially conscious" lyrics!

For example:

"Girls - all I really want is girls

Girls - to do the dishes

Girls - to clean up my room

Girls - to do the laundry

Girls - and in the bathroom

Girls - that's all I really want is girls

Two at a time - I want girls

With new wave hairdos - I want girls

I ought to whip out my - girls, girls, girls, girls, girls!"

:D

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

well those lyrics are from the beastie boys' earlier days......they were young like all of us at one time

over the past little while they've been coming out with some pretty good stuff. they talk about the chinese occupation of Tibet and their song Bodhivista Now is an excellent dipiction of that situation.

one set of lyrics which is my favourite from the beastie boys is from "Alive"

"I'd like to have a say on the income tax, dont wanna help build bombs and thats the fact, no money for health care so whats the catch?"

since when have political statements been linked to good music? Rage Against The Machine is probably one of the most political bands out there.. but their lyrics are really, really simple. His voice is AWFUL! And their guitar/bass harmonies are basic. But I love them, they're fun to listen to.. heh.

Brass monkey! That funky monkey! *weird squeeking noises*

Now, as much as I dislike this genre of music, I have to say Country music has the most inventive and creative lyrics.

Now, as for rap music, I can't stand most of it, especially 50 Cent, I can't stand him! He may be virtuall immortal, but his music sucks... in my own opinion. Eminem and D12 are okay. Nas isn't that great. Cypress Hill is hilarious.

Whee.. I have no idea where this is going. The Offspring rocks!

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

since when have political statements been linked to good music? Rage Against The Machine is probably one of the most political bands out there.. but their lyrics are really, really simple. His voice is AWFUL! And their guitar/bass harmonies are basic. But I love them, they're fun to listen to.. heh.

Brass monkey! That funky monkey! *weird squeeking noises*

Now, as much as I dislike this genre of music, I have to say Country music has the most inventive and creative lyrics.

Now, as for rap music, I can't stand most of it, especially 50 Cent, I can't stand him! He may be virtuall immortal, but his music sucks... in my own opinion. Eminem and D12 are okay. Nas isn't that great. Cypress Hill is hilarious.

Whee.. I have no idea where this is going. The Offspring rocks!

Ummm...u just dont understand hip hop, and dont have a good ear for music. Nas is the second best rapper alive. And thats not even up for discussion...every real hip hop head will tell you that.

D12 is garbage, and there are no complex country songs...all country lyrics are simple as hell.

"nas isnt that good" - sheesh.