• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Isshin Ryu Kata

Sho-ju

Which kata are included in Isshin Ryu? Do they all contain the vertial fist punch? What is the reason for punching this way? I've heard a couple of reasons but not sure which one is correct.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

IshinRyu has 8 empty hand katas, the only one that punches with the twist punch is Sanchin.

The verticle punch not only reduces the changes of breaking the wrist by improper twisting --- it has the potential to be faster and more effective when properly executed and mastered (** I'm not here to dispute this with anyone -- I study IsshinRyu and ShorinRyu and find both punches effective, but that is the reason behind the straight punch**)

Kita

KarateForums.com Sempai

IshinRyu has 8 empty hand katas, the only one that punches with the twist punch is Sanchin.

Depends on the group you're with, some do this as vertical as well.

Why is it used? Cause Tatsuo Shimabuku prefered it, it's really that simple. He felt it was a better punch, likely because of the influence of his main teacher, Chotoku Kyan, who also liked it.

Seisan

Seuichin

Naihanchi

Wansu

Sanchin

Chinto

Kusanku

Sunsu

Tokemine no Kun

Urashi Bo

Shishi no Kun

Kyan no sai*

Kusanku sai

Chantan Yara no Sai

Hamahiga no tonfa*

*Not all groups do these.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Shimabuku, Tatsuo studied under his uncle initially (couldn't find a name). He also studied under Kiyan, Chotoku; Motobu, Choki; Miyagi, Chojun and kobujutsu from Taira, Shinken and Yabiku, Moden.

His empty hand katas were:

Sanchin

Seiunchin from Goju Ryu

Seisan

Naihanchi

Chinto from Shorin Ryu

Wansu

Kusanku

Suansu combination kata made from others

I couldn't find anything on the weapon katas but AndrewGreen's seem to all be correct. Again, I'm not an Isshin Ryu stylist, just a martial history buff.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.