• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Free Kuk Sool Won

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shameful, unfortunate, and actually against the law. Kuk Sool Won is a legally owned name, and cannot be used (or any of its symbols) without the permission of the Grandmaster.

Here's a link of the "official" schools.

http://www.kuksoolwon.com/schools.htm

It won't have sanctioned clubs listed (like this one would have been), though.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

• 1 month later...

the teacher was a fake. he didnt even know that kuk sool won translated into. it was like taking a tae bo/woman's kickboxing class. but KSW seems interesting from what i've read. too bad.

That's unfortunate. Living in northern California, I'm sure you'll be able to find a Kuk Sool Won school if you decide to study it in the future. It definitely seems to be a very worthwhile art.

To the KSW people on the board -- is their an id or passport type system in KSW that can help weed out the "fakes"? You can always just contact HQ, but that may not always be convenient for some people. I know that in Hwa Rang Do you get a passport, and it must be stamped with each testing. In the Bujinkan, you have an id card, and teachers have a Shidoshikai card. This helps eliminate at least some of the fakes, as a potential student can simply ask to see the documentation if they have a question about the instructor's qualifications. If the instructor can't provide a current passport or card, and is still claiming membership in the org, I would be wary. That might have helped BLH28 out in this case, as because of the fact that we were most likely dealing with a "club" here as opposed to a formal dojang, they possibly wouldn't have been listed on the website (as rightly pointed out by Doug).

There is an ID card that has a member's student number along with their belt ranking on it, initialized by the instructor. Formal certificates are also issued for every belt color.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

Excellent. Than I would advise anyone checking out a KSW dojang (or a HRD one, or a Bujinkan dojo or training group) to please ask to see a current membership card or passport if the instructor claims to be affiliated with any of the above organizations. Hopefully this will reduce the number of people who claim to be members of these orgs when they clearly are not. I'm sure other orgs have identifying documents as well; but I do know that the above listed ones come from one central organization, so it should (at least theoretically) be harder to pass off fraudulent ones. If there is a question even after seeing the docs, ask for the number to hq so you can check out the instructor's references -- if they balk at that, I would be wary.

BLH28, that is unfortunate. I do see you are in NorCal, and there are other legit schools up here. I started at a school in San Lorenzo in September, and just tested for yellow belt last Saturday. (I think I passed, but we wern't actually told... I'll be back in class tonight, so I should find out then. We have a promotion ceremony in a week and a half... anyway...)

If SLZ happens to be a good location for you, let me know if you have any questions. Its not free of course, but I believe you can try out a class or two for free if you are undecided. I think most schools will do that.

I'm only scratching the surface of what KSW entails, but I really like the variety.

• 2 weeks later...

not to burst your bubble but whether the school is sanctioned or not doesnt speak for the quality of the school.

I enjoyed what i got out of KSW. but i got more from peers than i did my teacher. it turns out that my teacher was one of the biggest cultivators of marijuana in this area and he took advantage of every woman that walked in the door.

funny thing now is that his school closed, wife left him, and he cant understand why.