• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Free Kuk Sool Won

Well i'm going to transfer to a new High School where the PE teacher teaches Kuk Sool Won. since it is free, i am kinda sceptical if i should take the class or not, or if it will be effective. i dont think he'll teach students highly effective stuff, because then everybody would be getting c0cky and getting into fights. what do you guys think? i know its free and i should go for it, but do you guys think the actual class will be any help? thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'd say it's worth looking into...a 3rd dan from my dojo taught English, German and coached football at my high school last year (although it wasn't my high school last year...I just started there). He also taught TKD classes to some of the high school students, and it was free to them (other than paying for uniforms, sparring gear, etc). He did a great job of teaching them, and the few students I had the privelige of fighting were very good...and they were yellow belts!

So, just because it's free doesn't mean it's cheap in quality.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

I've read a book about Kuk Sool Won (Weapons of Kuk Sool Won) and I think it looks quite interesting, especially in the weapons department.

The "dan bong" (2 short sticks) techniques look great. They're held differently from escrima sticks and are used to attack pressure points.

Also, the twin short swords (joong gum) and rope techniques (po-bok) look good too...

If there was a school in my area, I'd be sure to check it out.

KSW has very high quality control requirements. It is structured in a way that all students learning at any given level is the same anywhere in the world, theoretically. It is not something you will be able to use to beat up somebody after only taking a few months of class. That's not the intent of the system, nor will your instuctor tolerate it. Take advantage of the offer for free instruction. You will learn a lot, but it doesn't happen overnight either.

Read KSN Doug's article on KSW on this site

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

That's interesting. There was actually a school for, shall we say troubled, boys that was looking for a KSW instructor to come in and teach. A counselor had taken it before, and liked it for its disciplinary advantages.

Unfortunately, I live a little too far away to accept the offer.

Let us know what you learn. I'd be interested in hearing if he's following "standard" curriculum, or modified it for public school instruction.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I understand about Kuk Sool Won after almost a year and a half of training (currently red belt), the curriculum of each school is monitored, so that it is uniform throughout the world, and the school must adhere to the prescribed curriculum to retain it's accredidation (not sure if that's the correct word).

Thus, the requirements for advancement are identical for each school. With just 3-6 months of training, you will barely be scratching the surface of what Kuk Sool has to offer.

My guess is that you will be amazed at what you are learning and will want to continue it, even if you have to pay for it.

I'd go for it if I were you. You will enjoy the experience.

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

the teacher was a fake. he didnt even know that kuk sool won translated into. it was like taking a tae bo/woman's kickboxing class. but KSW seems interesting from what i've read. too bad.