Why do you study TKD?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you study TKD?

• Sport
    • Self defence
    • For fun
    • to be a letal weapon........

Well, that's up to my instructor.

My instructor believes in a well-rounded art also. He mixes what he has learned (three styles in all, I think) together. I would call it a "hybred style TKD" but I donno if he would. But it is a good system :)

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My TKD school offers grappling also. My instructor just started a class a few months ago that is once a week and is just grappling based on Jujitsu.

As for the poll, I originally started TSD as a young kid for fun, then when we moved my mom actually told me that I should continue martial arts after I move out for college. :o That would have been another 8 years! About a year and a half after I stopped training I saw an ad for a Taekwondo school and I realized how much I missed training and joined the school. I don't know what I would do now without it.

"Success comes in cans not cannots." -Unknown

1st degree black belt Taekwondo

15 years old

I think its great when instructors add to their systems from other systems. Isn't this exactly what Bruce Lee was trying to tell us.

And I'm becoming more interested in HOPKIDO (HAPKIDO) everyday.

Peace, Love, Harmony

I don't know if they should change their name Shazam. But they might want to market the fact that the teach some hopkido.

I personaly would be inclined to look at a tkd school that offered Hopkido along with tkd

The trouble I have ran into are the instructors that say they teach HKD, but barely learned it themselves. Or they pass of the Pelligrini's CHKD as HKD, which is worse in my opinoin. I am all for mixing arts together as long as the teacher is competent enough to teach them. In this day and age of seminar black belts, I have seen too many instructors take a weekend class of XYZ style and instantly become a master of it.

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to point at him and laugh

Also just to be fair, I have seen HKD advertise they teach TKD and don't know squat about it as well. Though I think it is a lot easier for and HKD stylist to pick up on TKD than the other way around.

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to point at him and laugh

I study TKD because I've always wanted to be a supreme martial artist. In my town, the only thing there is to learn is either boxing or TKD. So I chose TKD. Not to say I don't like TKD, I love it. Though I would prefer a chinese style, such as wing-chun.

I study TKD because I've always wanted to be a supreme martial artist. In my town, the only thing there is to learn is either boxing or TKD. So I chose TKD. Not to say I don't like TKD, I love it. Though I would prefer a chinese style, such as wing-chun.

Wing Chun is a very nice compliment to TKD. Where TKD can develope your kicks and long range combat, wing chun will help your arms and short range combat..