• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hands vs. Feet

I love kicks. High ones since I'm tall and quite flexible. I also try to place some good punches too. If I would have to give percentage i'd have kicks -60 %, punches 40 %

No matter what the skill is better I think it's important to try to develop the not so good parts too. I usually sense I lack something and then I work the exact thing, until it's OK and I find another flaw. I think it's better than just focus on what you are confy with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hands are without a doubt, the quickest and most effective fighting techniques. i do use kicks but they never go above the waist as it is severly unbalance yourself, and leave your self exposed.

think about it. if you were in a handstand, would you try to punch your opponant? of course not.

If you have just read the above message and agree with it then you may worship me as the best thing since sliced bread.

Of course if you don't agree then hey, i'm a crazed lunatic and you should ignore my insane ramblings.

I dont think one is more afective than the other.I use bouth hands and feet .to me there bouth afective and usefull.I mean just my last sparring match right afetr i hit the guy i kicked him.woorked pretty good.Wha i am getting at is this is a redundet question.Its like asking whats bettor your stomeck or back

Most karateka have the term hand or fist in the name of their art. the feet should help your hands not the other way around. Kiscks are more powerfule and can be very damaging but a person who unerstands how to strike with hands will have the advantage. most people do not practice or perfect limb striking, a block is no more than a strike at a strike. take away your opponets weapons first.

Dojo Principle #3

Cultivate a spirit of perseverance or a will for striving, you will develop a healthy body if you have strength of mind and train fearlessly

Both link your strikes like roundhouse kick to head follow by spinning thro then hook to head. i like my bo staff :D

"I'm done, and as I'm posing in my nice stance the flamingo stands his ground as well. The flamingo and I are the unstoppable team, with my tornado kick and his confident pink plastic frame, we're ready for whatever comes our way!"

-Jujimufu

Well, it really depends on who you are. Rule of thumb is: hands are faster and more manueverable, but legs are more powerful.

Personally, i have good upper body strength, being a guy and done wrestling, so i like using my hands more for blocking and strikes. however, i still use kicks, just i keep them lower so i can control them more. i like to use my hands to go for more vital places like necks and temples

Destroy all that is evil, so that all that is good may flourish.

• 10 months later...

Martial arts are techniques are predominatly most effective when an equal balnce of hands and feet are utilised. However to attack with the feet as an initial attack is not always advisable as it may be deflected by your oponent and put you of balance. I have found that it is more effective to attack initially with strong hand techniques which will take your opponent off balance, you will then be able to maintain forward momentum and utilse strong kicking techniques. Simple techniques are always the most effective with both kicks and punches. Flashy techniques are all very well in a controlled training environment , however, the effectiveness in a real fight is questionable and may ultimately result in your downfall.

If you tied a boxers hands behind his back he would have nothing. If you did the same with a martial artist he would stiill be a fighter

Daikento Shukokai Karate

I love kicks, too. Most of the guys in my Shorin ryu/Shudokan dojo use their hands about 75-80% of the time. I mix it up with about 60% kicks, which throws many of them off. I just feel comfortable with my feet and have pretty good balance and agility, so it works for me.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Hello,

We have removed a post from this thread in error. It is below. I apologize for the confusion. Thanks.

Martial arts are techniques are predominatly most effective when an equal balnce of hands and feet are utilised. However to attack with the feet as an initial attack is not always advisable as it may be deflected by your oponent and put you of balance. I have found that it is more effective to attack initially with strong hand techniques which will take your opponent off balance, you will then be able to maintain forward momentum and utilse strong kicking techniques. Simple techniques are always the most effective with both kicks and punches. Flashy techniques are all very well in a controlled training environment , however, the effectiveness in a real fight is questionable and may ultimately result in your downfall.

If you tied a boxers hands behind his back he would have nothing. If you did the same with a martial artist he would stiill be a fighter

Actually thats wrong:

1. Hands and feet should NOT be used in equal balance. Watch a UFC fight. It is about 80% hands/20% kicks because that is what works. I know MMA is not a street fight. Nonetheless, it is the besting testing groud available for techniques and is perfectly relevant here.

2. Feet are fine as an initial attack. For example, lead leg front kick>takedown (classic Royce) or Thai roundhouse to thigh whenever you want.

3. I'd argue if you tied the AVERAGE boxers hands behind his back and set him against the AVERAGE karate fighter (notice I didn't say martial artist: Boxers are martial artists) I'd bet on the boxer. He'll have much better balance and mobility than the standard karate fighter, and most importantly, he will be used to getting hit. The average martial artist is unconditioned to all-out sparring and is in worse physical shape than the boxer. I'd bet on the boxer 8/10.

Which is superior? Striking with the hands or striking with the feet?

How about in grappling? Are hands more effective against feet? Or do feet reign supreme in grappling?

This is tough, but I would have to give the advantage to hands: the combinations come easier, they are quicker, and you have offense and defense all in one package.