• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hands vs. Feet

and then there's the point that a lot of people believe that a guy who trains kicks most, can't punch...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

both have advantages and disadvantages.

the point is they both work in different ranges.

kicks can be used at a longer range

(where the punches can't)

AS WELL as close up by way of 'short' kicks/stamps to the knees/shins/ankles.

punches work at a medium range or close up.

to employ the punch you have to get through the long range first.

BUT once you through, you can almost do as you please.

i would say that the extra range kicks offer gives it a slight defensive edge.

BUT

the sheer speed of punching techniques gives it an attack advantage when in range.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

i think the best thing about punching is that it is a lot easier to interrupt your punch and switch to something else.

I take tkd, and i think that kicks are great to keep someone back, and of course they have alot of power and range, but i don't throw them if i think i'll knocked off balance or something. I like using them to throw off the balance of my oponent, then move in closer and use hand techniques, or knees or something. I love kicks though.
i love kicks also. :karate:

• 4 weeks later...

in an actual street situation, feet are at most supplements to the hands. theyre not as effective as youd like a lot of the time, and dangerous to use. miss a punch, pull your hand back, probably still okay. miss a kick, or even land it, you still find yourself in trouble. unless you KNOW it will land, and you KNOW youll be on top of the fight after it does, and you KNOW its worth throwing, and its not a risky kick, dont throw it. i will never throw one unless his torso is very open for a front kick or if hes severely off balance. typically they shouldnt be used.

as far as grappling is concerned, the most effective street grappling ive seen is the wrestling style of taking someone down. dont get me wrong, bjj is great, and arm bars and all that are great if youre willing to break someones bone; but a simple (often sloppy, but still effective) take down with you on top, and/or getting most of the punches in, is what wins street fights.

a broken arm throws no punches

Thuggish said:

as far as grappling is concerned, the most effective street grappling ive seen is the wrestling style of taking someone down. dont get me wrong, bjj is great, and arm bars and all that are great if youre willing to break someones bone; but a simple (often sloppy, but still effective) take down with you on top, and/or getting most of the punches in, is what wins street fights.

Just because this is what you've seen doesn't automatically make it the most effective. It's just that most untrained people will do this in a fight. Usually with an untrained person a counter to this is very easy and that person is going to be in a world of hurt. I've seen boxers in street fights knock dudes out with one or two hits. I've seen wrestlers pick up and literally throw a peson to the ground. I've seen a karate guy kick someone once in the stomach and the person went down and couldn't breath. It all depends on the fight. All this stuff works depending on who you fight. But the most common and effective takedown with the least amount of risk is putting your leg in back and tripping them backwards. If you do it right you should still be standing as he goes down and then the STOMPING begins. :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"