• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hands vs. Feet

Besides, which would you rather take, a solid punch, or a sharp elbow strike? OUCH!!! :brow:

When I was a kid, my brothers always used to complain about my pointy elbows when we played football in the backyard. They would get hurt trying to tackle me. It was my own version of the stiff arm. I'm skinny, knobby and pointy. I've got no problem using my assets to make up for the lack of mass in the rest of my body.

i like them both but in real life MA fighting the hands are much better. i tend to use my kicks for as distractions to get them to lower their guard. as for grappling the legs are used more for control and the hands and arms are used to submit, but that is not always true and is sometimes the opposite like in the triangle, umma platta (spelling), etc.

In real life, I like open hands instead of closed fists, too. Easier to grab and control. You can always make a fist before a punch contacts.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Which is superior? Striking with the hands or striking with the feet?

How about in grappling? Are hands more effective against feet? Or do feet reign supreme in grappling?

A good martial artist is one who can use every part of his body. In this case foot or hand? it all depends on the situation.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

• 5 weeks later...
Which is superior? Striking with the hands or striking with the feet?

How about in grappling? Are hands more effective against feet? Or do feet reign supreme in grappling?

Western Boxing hands are the superior method of striking. I think after a person has good western boxing hands, he should add techniques from Thai Boxing.

Until a guy has good boxing hands, he won't be able to score well with his kicks against a good boxer. The hands set up the feet MUCH better than the feet set up the hands.

A good place to see this is on the Straight Blast Gym instructional DVDs

I am better with my hands too.. I probably wouldn't use a kick in a fight that much, but if I did I would probably do the a move i saw in Wing Chun where they kick them with there back leg to "stiffen" the opponent and follow up with some hand strikes.. it looked pretty neat.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Yes , but wing chun has many weaknesses in the kicking area so be carful. But it is still a good idea.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.