• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hands vs. Feet

That's the spirit! Kick 'em in the head when they're on their knees. :lol: That would be the only way I could reach....

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if your in guard (the person has pulled you down and locked their legs round you) dig your elbows in the middle of thier inner thigh to free yourself.

there's actually a lot more to it than that. The thigh dig is so overused now, that people are used to it, and it's farily easy to resist. That alone will not free you from someone who knows how to grapple.

Elbows is absolutely correct in this. Getting a person to open their guard should be a biomechanical process, not based on pain compliance that will be ineffective in combat.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

How about in grappling? Are hands more effective against feet? Or do feet reign supreme in grappling?

While the legs/feet play an extremely important role in grappling (closing the guard, moving the hips, keeping weight distribution proper), the submissions (over 90%) require the use of hands and arms. Therefore I would have to go with hands on this.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I rely mostly on hands, not because I don't think legs are worthwhile, but I just am not all that great with kicks. The exception being that I like knees....

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I would prefer hand strikes to kicking myself, in self-defense. However, in sparring, I like to use both. In TKD, there are so many people who want to stand away and kick, and then just clinch when they get in close. When they try to clinch with me, they get a surprise! :brow:

My plan is to work on my elbow and knee techniques, as well as close-in punches like hooks and uppercuts. Most folks don't like to fight close in - but I do.

My plan is to work on my elbow and knee techniques, as well as close-in punches like hooks and uppercuts. Most folks don't like to fight close in - but I do.

Sounds like a good plan, dont forget gouging, ripping, pulling etc also great from in close.

And bad breath. :lol:

I think that is a good idea, Baron. In my Combat Hapkido curriculum, elbow and knee strikes are part of the system. I will be adding some kicking shield training for the knees, and likewise elbow work. These are very important tools that need to be utilized.

Besides, which would you rather take, a solid punch, or a sharp elbow strike? OUCH!!! :brow:

i like them both but in real life MA fighting the hands are much better. i tend to use my kicks for as distractions to get them to lower their guard. as for grappling the legs are used more for control and the hands and arms are used to submit, but that is not always true and is sometimes the opposite like in the triangle, umma platta (spelling), etc.

Whoever said that the pen is mightier than the sword never encountered automatic weapons.