• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hands vs. Feet

I'm about 40 percent kicking techniques, most of them being no higher than midsection. The only way I found to be able to work my kicks in any fight is to learn some important aspects in wrestling. If a fighter can understand wrestling they can start refining their kicking techniques.

I think that this is a very good statement. It is important to know what your strengths are, what weaknesses they have, and how to counteract those weaknesses.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon if you've got power go in for the punches otherwise a well timed kick can be deadly so i guess both! When it comes to grappling the key is keeping your body weight and centre of gravity as low as possible otherwise you can be thrown off. If struggling with an arm bar use your feet to break the other persons grip and if your in guard (the person has pulled you down and locked their legs round you) dig your elbows in the middle of thier inner thigh to free yourself.

if your in guard (the person has pulled you down and locked their legs round you) dig your elbows in the middle of thier inner thigh to free yourself.

there's actually a lot more to it than that. The thigh dig is so overused now, that people are used to it, and it's farily easy to resist. That alone will not free you from someone who knows how to grapple.

• 2 months later...

There's some Muay Thai video on the internet that shows some evil kicks taking people OUT. They didn't set them up with hands. They didn't get taken down because the kick wasn't there long enough for them to be grabbed.

Never bring a knife to a gun fight. Each thing has its place.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

When it comes to the kicking arguement, this is a point that an instructor of mine made one time:

"If two guys are sparring with each other, and they both know that the other will be trying to kick them in the head, and the guy can still get it done with the other ready for it, then why wouldn't it work on a guy who has no idea you are going to kick?"

Now, I am not saying that you should kick away head-height in a fight, nor will I train my students to do so. However, it does make a little bit of sense. There has also been an upswing in the amount of head-kick knockouts seen in the MMA competitions as well, don't you think?

"If two guys are sparring with each other, and they both know that the other will be trying to kick them in the head, and the guy can still get it done with the other ready for it, then why wouldn't it work on a guy who has no idea you are going to kick?"

Great point.

There has also been an upswing in the amount of head-kick knockouts seen in the MMA competitions as well, don't you think?

Yes there has.

When it comes to the kicking arguement, this is a point that an instructor of mine made one time:

Now, I am not saying that you should kick away head-height in a fight, nor will I train my students to do so. However, it does make a little bit of sense. There has also been an upswing in the amount of head-kick knockouts seen in the MMA competitions as well, don't you think?

Its important to remember that in sparring or mma the delivery system is different to that of self defence.

In sparring or mma everything is physical, if you are outside of striking distance(this is often the case when people are feeling each other out etc) then its fine to throw kicks and long jabs or feint etc to close the distance.

In self defence, the delivery is based on human behaviour more than technique. If there is distance, its closed with a verbal exchange and questions or taunting to "feel out". From there you are already at least within arms length before physical technique even comes into consideration. Sure, if a fight begins you may have the chance to break away and create distance(not something i would do until the immediate threat is removed) and you might get to do your kick, but other than that, its not always available.

Very well articulated, Cross. I agree. I also don't like opening up my groin with any kicks, so even if I do them they'd be low and tight to the thigh or below.

That's also why I love knees and elbows. Like the knight in chess, they are for close-in knife fight kind of moves with many target possibilities. The distance slash moves like a kick to the head are more like the bishop.

Kinetic chess!

Hey, if you're in position to use a kick, go for it. But you better know what to do if you can't kick. As baronbvp said, elbows and knees are great for close range. Standing bars and throws are also good if you're only dealing with one person.

Just use what is appropriate to the situation and what works for you. Personally, I'm not going to throw a head kick. I'm not fast enough to get one off without leaving myself wide open for a few seconds during and afterwords. I'll hit him in the gut and when he's doubled over gasping, that's when I'll nail him in the head(if necessary).

There's no place like 127.0.0.1