• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hands vs. Feet

I think that hands are the most important to be proficient in but if you can become equally good with your legs, develop openings with your hands, and then follow through with a strong, balanced, accurate, fast kick...you're golden.

*It may surprise some people that this condition is REALLY hard to achieve (14 years of training and I can do it well enough every once in a while, but then again, i'm a bit of a perfectionist.)* ;-)

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To a grappler, kicking is a no-no...

Why would any body want to hit someone while balancing on one leg?

IMO its just an invitation to get taken down. Clinch knee is superior though!

Aikido have names for techniques like "heaven and earth."which represents the creation of the universe along with a philosophical meaning.

Muay Thai have names for techniques like "closing the lamp", which means "punch him in the eye."

• 4 months later...

feet reign surpreme! more distance, :karate: :) :kaioken: more power

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.

- martial arts legend:bruce lee

feet reign surpreme! more distance, :karate: :) :kaioken: more power

also more susceptibility to a takedown. Everything has it's drawbacks - nothing reigns supreme.

i do :kaioken:

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.

I feel that elbows_and_knees makes a good point. Everything has its drawbacks. Some things are higher percentage than others, but they still have even little drawbacks.

Punching, kicking, grappling, jumping, spinning, each has advantages and disadvantages.

I feel that elbows_and_knees makes a good point. Everything has its drawbacks. Some things are higher percentage than others, but they still have even little drawbacks.

Punching, kicking, grappling, jumping, spinning, each has advantages and disadvantages.

yes i know i was just havin some fun lol im bored!

• 3 weeks later...

which is better a hamer or a saw.

Neither; use what is appropriate at the moment depending on your strengths and weaknesses as well as own opponent.

You need to learn both or you are incomplete.

Brad

• 1 month later...

The main problem I see with fighters who use kicks, are that those fighters lack knowledge of wrestling. If a fighter wants to have effective kicking in combat situations, they need to learn how to defend against being taken down.

I'm about 40 percent kicking techniques, most of them being no higher than midsection. The only way I found to be able to work my kicks in any fight is to learn some important aspects in wrestling. If a fighter can understand wrestling they can start refining their kicking techniques.

An important aspect in kicking is to snap the kick back quickly. Most fighters like to kick then stick their foot out, that is bad news and leads to an easy takedown. Kicks have to shoot out fast, connect, then retract fast, and look out for the takedown.

Also, for anyone who still argues that MMA is still primarily 80/20 punch, kick ratio, these days in MMA competition we are starting to see more kicking techniques. Guys like Mirko Filipovic, Georges St. Pierre and Anderson Silva are starting to use more kicking techniques, primarly because of there knowledge of Wrestling and Brazilian Jiu Jistu. It's simply the sport evolving once again and I'm sure we'll be seeing more people using kicking techinques because of the increasing comfort with grappling.

Which is superior? Striking with the hands or striking with the feet?

How about in grappling? Are hands more effective against feet? Or do feet reign supreme in grappling?

Without a dought HANDS will win over FEET every time no matter what system/style you are.

Even if you are a good kicker you need the hands to disguise the kick,

you need hands with feet, you dont need feet for hands. you can deliver leathal power damage throught kicks but as i keep saying with out the hands it wont happen