Hands vs. Feet

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm well I think it really depends what you train for. I'd say that if you take MA for Self-Defense in real life with no rules, then hands would probably be more important over legs (65% hands, 35% legs). If you are in MA for sport and competition sparring, then legs should probably be equal or better since they are more powerful and sparring is a controlled situtation with rules. I'm currently not very big on Grapping arts but it appears to me that they require more skill in getting yourself into good positions, body structure and weight manipulation rather than just the merits of using the hands or feet seperately. But very generally, hands are probably more important in grappling as they are the best tools on the human body to manipulate things.

"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. Put water into a tea pot, it becomes the tea pot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friend."

- Bruce Lee

Which is superior? Striking with the hands or striking with the feet?

A timely topic. . .just last night I was re-reading Loren Christensen's "Solo Training: The Martial Artist's Guide to Training Alone." At the beginning of one of his chapters he says something like the following:

most TKD tournaments are won with kicks

most open tournaments are won with punches

most people with extensive experience in extra-legal fighting will tell you punches, elbow strikes, and grappling rule the roost

I can't really find any reason to disagree with him.

How about in grappling? Are hands more effective against feet? Or do feet reign supreme in grappling?

I have an unformed opinion on this one, so I'll leave it be.

It depends on the strenths and weakness of the individual fighter. While a good kick should have more power than a kick, another fighter my be great at getting inside, using hands.

Hand techniques tend to be thrown more rapidly.

it all depnds on the situation. Tournement, rules, street fight, and you. My few real situation fights, Elbows are devestating!, Wrist locks and arm bars. O and sorry to say guys.....anything you can use to get his grion!