• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial art for self defense

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I'd probably go with the Kenpo.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

Both are good styles. I agree that you should check out the schools- pay particular attention to the instructors. See how you fit in with the class. If you are looking to learn an art for self defense, you should watch them spar. Find out if they at least sometimes spar with contact. Everyting changes when you start hitting more than air, and the only way to learn to fight is to fight (but with some rules for safety- no one really needs to learn how to get injured). Check what equipment is available to use, and its condition. One good thing to find out is if they either formally or informally get together outside class and work out. Some of the better schools I've come across, with the most seriouse and motivated students, do this regularly. All else being equal, go with your gut. Good luck!

Freedom isn't free!

What type of Kenpo are we talking about? Kosho, Shaolin, American, Combat, Ryukyu...there are too many to name. You need to figure out which philosophy of Kenpo and which philosophy of Ju jitsu...Then take you butt to the schools train and figure out which one you like best.

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to point at him and laugh

If those are you're only two choices I'd suggest you go to the pawn shop, invest in a firearm and then learn how to use it.

Otherwise, train at both schools and buy some tapes on ground grapplin' or learn some high school wrestling.

Then when you have mastered both, open your own school.

Good luck to you! I know you can do it!!

Peace, Love, Harmony