• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

black belt tests

IAMA_chick

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

One of thr girls at my dojo didnt have to take a test.

Last thursday sensei was training our blackbelts and brown belts. After a while he comes over to the brownbelt girl and basically tells her that she is waaaaay to good to be a brown belt and promotes her to black.(just like that!) This has never happened before in our dojo's 30 years of history!

Read a book!

For my black sash in wa lum gung fu the test started out standing in a horse stance for 30 minutes doing an excersize called buddha's breath. I had to go through a number of self defense techniques, some full contact sparring, and forms. I had 17 hand forms and 3 weapons forms I had to do as he called them out. Some he would call out to do in mirror image which was a real challenge.

I was hurting for a couple of days after, but it felt good because I knew I had earned it.

One of thr girls at my dojo didnt have to take a test.

Last thursday sensei was training our blackbelts and brown belts. After a while he comes over to the brownbelt girl and basically tells her that she is waaaaay to good to be a brown belt and promotes her to black.(just like that!) This has never happened before in our dojo's 30 years of history!

This happens in some traditional japanese schools. Tests are impromtu to separate those that give it all every class, not just

"when it counts" for a test.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Basically, I'd haveto agree with what Tom said, for 1st dan, and even 2nd dan...thought I was gonna die at my 3rd Dan test, and 4th Dan was a whole experience unto itself...which I'm not quite done with yet, acually...

wait for your Sam Dan test Tom...do they use the Shinai in Region 5?

wait for your Sam Dan test Tom...do they use the Shinai in Region 5?

Bwahahahaha!

You MUST be a region 8 guy! :) But to answer your question, not to my knowledge. Region 5 is comparatively small, and I've only seen a couple people test for Sam Dan.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

I´m getting angry by reading that. Did the kid get the black belt?

Yea, the kid got his belt. He actually did pretty well fighting aginst the instructor, considering that the guy's a monster. The kid broke down for a second, but he kept on figthing. Plus, he did decently well in the other matches if i recall.

I think what that guy said is totally true. In fact, in our club you have to fight a 10 on 1 battle for 43 minutes while calling out every move you make in the original japanese and then the english translation. After that, you have to jog 74 miles backwards, do 152 backflips in under 3 minutes and perform all 26 shotokan kata underwater.

And that's just for yellow belt!!

:wink:

Ok....maybe that guy was full of it.

Wap

"Fighting fighting. Same Same"

"But you know karate!"

"Someone always know more..."