• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

black belt tests

IAMA_chick

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Yeah earning a black belt shouldn't be like getting initited into a gang or something! Don't get me wrong --- our test was friggin hard --- and I am glad it was hard cause I am that much more prouder of my belt -- but I didn't go into it fearing for my life either!
KarateForums.com Sempai

I haven't got that far yet, but I heard our BB tests are pretty hard. My instructor does put you under "mental stress" on purpose. How? I donno. But I heard that you DO have to fight two on one, after free self defense, standing grappling, and grappling. For how long? I don't know that either.

Laurie F

Thanks for the replies guys, I knew he was kind of strecthing it, I know that getting your black belt is tough, so no disrespect to those that have the strength to achieve that status, but I knew that the way that he explained it was too hollywood. Thanks guys ( and girls) ;)

What does the Karate Black Belt test consist of, this guy named Travis said that it consisted of 1 on 1 with no pads for 10 min. then 2 on 1 for 20 minutes, 3 on 1 for 20, and so on, until 5 on 1 for 30 minutes, keep in mind he said no pads, real kicking and hitting, and if you pass out, from a kick to the head or whatever, you fail, and that there are chances of you being killed, is this bull**** or is he telling the truth.
I HAVENT HEARD SUCH * IN A LONG TIME. For black belt you need to know most stances , blocks, punches, etc. , also you need to pass a combo test, 5-10 steps , and u need a whole lot of vocabulary. also you need bassaidai and some other kata, but thats just at my school. what ur friend said is prolly pure *, who would take the rist of being killed for black belt? i sure wouldnt.

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

TOTAL *!!! I don't know of any Professionals that can fight for 2 hours with no pads much less someone who does karate part time! The ones who usually do all the big talking are the ones who don't know anything! It is those quiet ones you have to keep an eye on!!! :wink:

Good Luck in your training!

Black Belt tests will vary from school to school, but I've never heard of a test like that. My test consisted of a 3-mile run, every single block and kick we'd learned since white belt, every kata strung together, one-steps, self-defense, knife and gun defense, red marker "knife" defense (we were attacked with an uncapped red marker and wearing a white t-shirt...when you got "stabbed" your t-shirt would tell the tale), and lots of sparring. Even that was spread over the course of two days, though.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

It appears that we made a slight mistake and removed some posts by accident. Here they are in no particular order. I apologize.

What does the Karate Black Belt test consist of, this guy named Travis said that it consisted of 1 on 1 with no pads for 10 min. then 2 on 1 for 20 minutes, 3 on 1 for 20, and so on, until 5 on 1 for 30 minutes, keep in mind he said no pads, real kicking and hitting, and if you pass out, from a kick to the head or whatever, you fail, and that there are chances of you being killed, is this garbage or is he telling the truth.

Jeez - where does this guy train? :o Naw, I thinks he's yankin' your chain. Sometimes our sparring consists of 3 or 4 on 1 for the higher black belts, but that is only a part of your grading. You're more likely to fail for not knowing the proper applications. Maybe in old Okinawa they used to do things like you mention, but I doubt anymore - imagine the liability issues, for one?

I doubt if they even did that in Okinawa. Somebody's been watching too much television. He's definitely pulling your leg. I've heard of one group called the Green Dragon Society that makes you fight your way to your rank as the last part of the test. It's supposedly without pads but I'm not sure how true that is. That's what I read somewhere. I called them and they want every applicant to the school to come in for an interview with the instructor.

thanks for the replies, this is what I thought, but I just wanted to ask someone who would know, I appreciate it.

Just depends on the art.

We do full contact sparring on our Dan tests. However we are wearing pads and its only one on one.

His telling the truth just trust him...but it sounds a bit........

For my black belt test, we did both one on one and two on one. I don't remember how many matches I had to do, but it was quite a few. The sparring is full contact, but we wear pads. It's a bit of a hazing process, since we have to fight some of the instructors. There's one instructor in particular that's just plain mean. He made this one kid cry at his test. He seriously smacked that kid around. It was painful to watch. Most of the other instructors will smack you around a bit, but not to that degree.