• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hyakuhachiho

Sho-ju

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I looked and haven't seen this particular kata ( assuming the spelling is right) anywhere in the shotokan or Goju lineage. Of course I'm by no means the final authority on this but I would be most interested in knowing the history of this kata.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Here's a little blurb...

http://www.ozwebart.com.au/kua/kata.htm

This Kata is known on Okinawa as Superinpi and the name means "one hundred and eight steps".

Morio Higaonna said that the name really means 108 Masters as that is the number that it took to create it. It is also called "Petchurin".

Sorry I'd never heard of it reffered to like this before. Pechurin or Suparenpei isn't in the Shuri Te/ Shotokan lineage. It's in the Naha Te/ Goju Ryu lineage. The original Shotokan Ryu katas included:

Pinan Shodan - Godan

Naihanchi Shodan - Sandan

Passai dai

Passai Sho

Wanshu

Chinto

Seisan

Jutte

Jion

Kusanku dai

Kusanku Sho

Therefore I'd guess that if you're doing Pechurin in your style then it would be the same as Goju since it doesn't exist in the original Shotokan kata. If it is changed you need to ask who changed it and why. I'd be curious to know the answer.

It’s my understanding that Funakoshi listed this kata and had changed the name. It’s not an original shotokan kata but in the early days shotokan was much more eclectic.

I researched through all of my Funakoshi material and didn't find Pechurin or Suparenpei listed anywhere. He mentioned the katas where he had changed the names from the Shorin name to Shotokan Such as:

Pinan to Heian

Naihanchi to Tekki

Passai to Bassai

Seisan to Hangetsu

Chinto to Gankaku

Wanshu to Empi

Kusanku to Kwanku

and others .....

I just reviewed Pechurin on tape and it doesn't resemble any of the old Shotokan katas that I can find. Pechurin is the longest kata in the Goju Ryu system and was broken down to form the basis for Gekki Sai Dai Ichi and Dai Ni. If you find out otherwise please let me know.

Wankan to Matsukaze

Sensei Funakoshi in his book Karate do Kyohan makes mention of this change of names:

The list of original 24 kata are as follows:

Chinte

Chinto (Gankaku)

Lorei (Meikyo)

Jiin

Jion

Jutte (Jitte)

Kururunfa

Kushanku (Kanku)

Matsukase (Wankan)

Naihanchi (Tekki)

Niseishi (Nijushiho)

Ouseishi (Gojushiho)

Passai (Bassai)

Saifa

Sanchin

Sanseru

Seienchin (Saipa)

Seipai

Seisan (Hengetsu)

Shisochin

Sochin

Suparumpei

Unsu

Wanshu (Enpi)

http://www.hmaainc.com/kata.html

Funakoshi changed the names and shotokan people have been studying them ever since.

Shoju, If you look closer at that sight he was referring to a list of 24 original kata for all of the original karate styles. They then go on to divide them between the 3 original styles and a list of original Shotokan kata is the last one and it doesn't include Suparenpei. One of my earlier references was Funakoshi's "Karate-Do Kyohan". It doesn't mention Suparenpei at all according to the index.

Shoju, If you look closer at that sight he was referring to a list of 24 original kata for all of the original karate styles. They then go on to divide them between the 3 original styles and a list of original Shotokan kata is the last one and it doesn't include Suparenpei. One of my earlier references was Funakoshi's "Karate-Do Kyohan". It doesn't mention Suparenpei at all according to the index.

I know what the site has but SKI shotokan does include all of them.

Then your Shotokan style has a good shot at being a better fighting style than "traditional" Shotokan if the kyusho and tuite in the kata are being covered properly. Is there a website for your particular style of Shotokan? I'd be interested to learn more about it.